We are looking for: Head of Language Department
Join the team at the Goethe-Institut!
The Goethe-Institut is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany. We promote knowledge of the German language and foster international cultural cooperation. Our cultural and education programmes encourage intercultural dialogue, enable cultural involvement, and strengthen the development of structures in civil society.
Goethe-Institut Neuseeland, based in Wellington, is seeking a highly motivated
HEAD OF LANGUAGE DEPARTMENTfor the period from 01.02.2022 (or later) to 31.02.2024 (with further extension option). This is a full-time position based on a 40-hour working week.
In this position you will be responsible for the strategic development and marketing of the outstanding portfolio of language courses and examinations offered by the Goethe-Institut New Zealand, on the basis of your experience in the management of language courses. Drawing on your comprehensive knowledge of the New Zealand education system and foreign language teaching, you will also manage our network of educational partnerships and partner schools.
Your duties:Working in consultation with the Director, you will be responsible and accountable for:
- design, delivery and evaluation of our language courses and examinations operation and the School Support Services (BKD)
- strategy for the further development of networks and programmes, and for identifying and engaging with new target groups
- implementation and evaluation of marketing and PR communication for Goethe-Institut
- language courses and examinations, and for School Support Services (BKD) projects
- educational partnership projects and professional development programmes, in cooperation with the National German Advisor (based in Auckland)
- managing our language department staff, including the selection and training of new teachers, classroom observations and lesson assessments, and regular staff training programmes
- planning, financial controlling and reporting for the language courses and examinations operation and the School Support Service projects (BKD), with the specific tools used by the Goethe-Institut for this purpose
Your qualifications and attributes:
- the legal right to work in New Zealand
- university degree
- proven professional expertise in the field of German as a foreign language
- experience in organisation, administration and staff management
- ability to think and operate with fiscal responsibility
- knowledge of the pedagogical and methodological principles of contemporary foreign language teaching (communicative and learner-focused approaches), including blended learning and online formats
- experience in language course management
- experience in teaching German as a foreign language
- German and English proficiency for business purposes
- familiarity with widely used Office applications and readiness to rapidly get up to speed with relevant programmes and in-house systems
- excellent people skills for dealing with customers, including in conflict situations
- experience in working with a diverse range of target groups
- teamwork skills, flexibility and self-reliance
- readiness to travel on the job and to work flexible hours
- varied and interesting task portfolio and continuous professional development in one of the world’s largest linguistic and cultural organisations
- enjoyable working relations with your colleagues in-house and with the wider SAN (South-East Asia, Australia, New Zealand) regional team
- flexible working hours models (home office, flexi time) for a good work-life balance
- regular professional development opportunities in Germany and New Zealand, in the region and digitally
- flexible and result-focused work processes
The starting salary is between 67,000 NZD and 74,000 NZD per annum, depending on prior experience.
Please send your application, in German or English,
with cover letter (max. 1 page), résumé and references, to:
email@example.com by 31 October 2021.
We reserve the right to contact applicants before expiry of the deadline, so early submission is recommended.
Your contact for any questions is Elke Diedrichs: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to receiving your application!