The Goethe-Institut and the Red Sea Film Festival in cooperation with the Film Academy Baden- Württemberg, Ludwigsburg (Germany) call for submissions for a unique three part scriptwriting clinic that leads to a production of three final films in the category Live Action Short Film.
With a strong focus on research, the workshop seeks emerging filmmakers and script writers as well as film and media students with intermediate or advanced experience. We also encourage submissions from creative writers of all kinds that would like to write or adapt work into a screenplay.
We ask all interested to submit:
• 3 – 5 page treatment or story in English or Arabic
• 5 -25 page completed script in English
• One page statement of motivation
• Important links to previous work (If exists)
• Two references with email and phone numbers
10 -12 participants will be selected.
• Strong interest in research
• Good communication and written skills in English
• Availability to travel during the assigned dates
• If no background in cinema, a clear interest in writing, and/or a specific story is essential
After a successful participation you will have the opportunity to pitch your script and apply for a production grant. Three winners will be chosen.
Eligibility to apply: current residents of Saudi Arabia, Germany, UAE or other GCC country.
Workshops will take place on the following dates and places:
• December 2-6, 2022 in Jeddah Saudi Arabia during the Red Sea Film Festival
• February 12-16, 2023 in Ludwigsburg and 18 – 21 2023 participation at the Berlin Film Festival
• May 1-6 2023 in Dubai, UAE (this workshop may take place online)
• September 1, 2023: pitching of final scripts for production grant.
The workshop is free of charge. Airfare and accommodations will be provided. Accepted participants must be available for all editions.
Curriculum of Scriptwriting Clinic
This unique workshop will improve skills in scriptwriting and storytelling form with a focus on research and development, rigorous drafting, and strong aesthetic language and style. The scripts or treatments will be developed and honed while participants will work in small groups and assist each other with their projects. We will provide an online learning platform to communicate and cooperate in the time between the workshops.
The workshops will concentrate on following topics:
• Writing and strategy of treatment and short synopsis
• Improved writing skills
• Skills in research and development
• Storytelling techniques
• Honing dialogue
• Genre expectations
• Rigorous analysis of diverse successful short scripts
• Adaptation, documentary, and experimentation in fiction
• Intensive one-on-one mentorship
• Dedicated Online Learning Platform
• Sessions with renowned industry professionals
• Consistent and critical feedback during workshop and in between
• Structure for interactive peer feedback
• A pitching at the end of the workshop, at which 3 scripts will be selected and their Writers will be given a production grant. They will also be teamed with a creative team for the production.
Please submit your complete application by October 20th, 2022