Journalist‐in‐Residence Programme at the science hub Berlin
Apply now for the BERLIN SCIENCE COMMUNICATION AWARD and be part of the Journalist‐in‐Residence Programme at the science hub Berlin!
WANTED: International science communicators from Brazil, Singapore and the USA
Humboldt‐Universität zu Berlin (HU) and partners are looking for you! You are a highly talented science journalist at the beginning of your career and you want to be part of Berlin’s science and research scene for a period of two months?
The Journalist‐in‐Residence Programme offers you ideal conditions to expand your professional network and to establish contacts with Berlin’s top‐level research institutions, scientists and science communicators in the area.
We are looking for you, if you have:
The BERLIN SCIENCE COMMUNICATION AWARDS ‐ Journalist‐in‐Residence Programme is endowed with:
- Residency in one of the following countries: USA, Singapore, Brazil
- An outstanding resume and excellent work contacts in your home country
- The time and commitment to work and live in Berlin for a period of two months (October and November 2017)
- High motivation and openness to discover the Berlin science community
- Work Experience: At least 2 years of experience in journalism / public relations specialised in science communication
- Excellent English language skills (highly proficient in spoken and written English)
- Readiness to build up a new network
- The wish to participate in and contribute to local events
- Ideas and time to produce cross‐media coverage of your stay in Berlin/develop new cross media formats with HU and partners
- Ideas and time to develop, plan and organise a follow‐up event in your home country
About the application process:
- Prize money of €2,500/person/month
- Travel expenses to and from your home country
- Remuneration for concept, planning and organisation of follow‐up events €1,500/person
- Budget for follow‐up events in your home country
- Work space at Humboldt‐Universität zu Berlin
Timeline of the Residence Programme:
|17.02.2017 – 17.04.2017
|17.04.2017, 8:00 PM (CEST)
||Selection process and notifications
|May and June 2017
||Coordination of individual programme focusing on thematic specialisation
of each journalist
- Arrival in Berlin: 1 October 2017
- Departure: 1 December 2017
- Follow‐up events in home countries: December 2017 to February 2018
- Personal application video (self‐presentation, professional motivation to participate in the programme, short introduction to initial ideas of a concept for cross‐media coverage and a possible follow‐up event, max. 2 minutes)
- Short cover letter (max. 1 page)
- 5 relevant work references (e.g. content published in social and podcast channels, printed articles in wellknown newspapers in the home countries, etc.)
- Proof of language skills (English)
- Letter of endorsement
Please note: Incomplete applications and applications which do not comply with the formal requirements and stated criteria will be rejected.
The programme is part of the DFG International Research Marketing Ideas Competition and funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research as part of the initiative “Promote Innovation and Research in Germany”.