SEADSTEM Workshop 2021
Call for Applications
The Goethe-Institut, the Australian Embassy Thailand and SEAMEO (The Southeast Asia Ministers of Education Organization) have joined together to facilitate the development of a regional digital education platform for STEM in Southeast Asia. SEADSTEM - The Southeast Asian Digital STEM Platform (www.seadstem.org) intends to present best practice resources for interdisciplinary STEM teaching activities linked to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The platform targets secondary school teachers interested to integrate STEM teaching approaches in their classes.
No matter what level of experience, it can only benefit teachers to consistently deepen and develop their understanding of STEM, so that it can be put into teaching practice effectively. When applied properly, the curriculum integrating process of a STEM approach can make a big difference in how students see the world - and solve problems. The goal of SEADSTEM is to effectively promote this approach in the Southeast Asia region.).
The central concept of the workshop is to have participants bring some of their own teaching, experiments and learning exercises, and through facilitation enhance the learning, and enrich the opportunities for 21st Century Skill development within the students.
- Strengthen/introduce inquiry pedagogy and content knowledge of lead teacher participants in several core learning areas
- Strengthen connections across the SEAMEO network countries
- Strengthen the capacity and skill of lead teachers as mentors and professional trainers
- Facilitate the co-development of exemplar teaching units on the selected core learning areas for use within the participants countries, and understand the process of critical review of teaching practices and their improvement (i.e. how to run workshops within their communities to enhance teaching of a wider range of topics)
Successful applicants will be asked to commit to virtual exchanges with the regional lead facilitators at intervals starting in February 2021, as well as facilitating studies evaluating the academic effectiveness of the developed materials. It is intended that an attendance workshop take place in Bangkok in 2021 once Covid-19 restrictions allow for safe travel. Discussions with the participants of the virtual program will help shape the nature of the attendance workshop. The organizers will cover international economy-class travel, accommodation, lunch and refreshments, as well as per diem for the planned attendance workshop. Virtual measures will be continued in case Covid-19 restrictions do not allow for convenient travel arrangements in 2021.
Where: Online (Video Calls, Facebook Group) & Tentative Attendance Workshop in Bangkok in 2021 when international travel within the region permitted
Suitable for: The qualifying teacher leader candidate should possess the following characteristics
- Have at least five years of secondary-school classroom experience in a STEM subject area;
- Have an understanding of inquiry methods and have taught using them;
- Have an understanding of what STEM education is;
- Be willing to commit to 50-60 hours of professional development;
- Be recommended by the school principal
- Attended at least one professional workshop or conference in the past three years in which STEM teaching was the topic;
- Have experience in a leadership role in a school.
Sponsorship & Cost: No cost for participants (International Travel, Accommodation, Room & Board and per Diem supported by organizers for attendance workshop