Through our specific translation grants, we will pay up to two-thirds of the costs of translation, based on a translation fee of 35 euro per standard page (one standard page contains 1,800 characters, including spaces, or 30 lines of 60 characters each).
The maximum grant is 10,000 euro, with 75 % of the grant being paid out to the publisher upon conclusion of the contract.
In the case of graphic novels, a lump sum of 1,000 euro is paid in addition to the translation costs to cover the costs of lettering.
- The following publications will be considered:
- contemporary German-language fiction, poetry, children’s and young adult literature, and graphic novels
- non-fiction about topical and socially-relevant subjects
- At the time of application, a licensing agreement and a contract with a suitable translator must have been concluded.
- The translation must be of the original German text that is already available in a printed published version.
- Only projects that are not yet ready to go to press when the grants agreement is signed will be considered.
- The English-language publisher is required to credit the Goethe-Institut as sponsor in the imprint and to print the Goethe-Institut logo (see contract for details of required wording). If the publisher fails to do so, the Goethe-Institut reserves the right to withhold or demand back the approved grant.
- The submitted books should have been published within the last five years.Individual agreements will be entered into upon request in the case of unusually high lettering costs and for poetry and picture books.
Applications can be submitted at any time using an online application form
. Applications are processed on a continual basis. Application deadline for own proposals: 15 November 2019
. Application deadline for titles recommended in our reader: 30 November 2019