Goethe-Zertifikat C2: GDS
Ideal if you'd like to ...
- study or conduct research in Germany
- teach at a school in Germany
- prove that you have successfully reached level C2
- be issued with an official and internationally recognized certificate
The Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS) is a German exam for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired extremely advanced language skills and corresponds to the sixth level (C2) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- effortlessly understand virtually everything that you read or hear in German,
- summarize information from various written and spoken sources, logically recounting reasons and explanations,
- express yourself spontaneously with a high level of fluency and precision and make finer nuances of meaning clear when discussing more complex topics.
On 1st January 2012, the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam replaced the three previously existing exams, namely the Goethe-Zertifikat: Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP), the Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom (KDS) and the Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS).
- A minimum age of 18 years is recommended to take the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam.
- To sit the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam, candidates must have German language skills corresponding to the sixth and highest level of competence (C2) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- To reach this level of competence, candidates need to have completed at least 1,000 45-minute units of teaching, depending on their previous knowledge and learning requirements.
What else is important to know?
- Exam guidelines (PDF, 337 KB)
- Terms and conditions for the exam administration (PDF, 344 KB)
- Supplement to the Terms and Conditions for Exam Administration: Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 228 KB)
- Information for Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 57 KB)
- Manual Examination goals and test description (PDF, 300 KB)