Ideal if you'd like to ...
- attend a preparatory course (Studienkolleg) to qualify for admission to university in Germany,
- live and work in Germany,
- prove that you have successfully reached level B1,
- be issued an official and internationally recognized certificate.
The Goethe-Zertifikat B1 is a German exam for young people and adults. It certifies that candidates are independent users of the German language and corresponds to the third level (B1) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- understand the main points of information in conversations and texts on familiar matters relating to work, school and leisure time, etc. when clear, standard language is used,
- deal with most situations typically encountered when travelling in German-speaking countries,
- express yourself simply and coherently when talking about familiar topics and areas of personal interest,
- report on experiences and events, describe dreams, hopes and ambitions as well as make short statements and explanations.
*) The cheaper price displayed applies if you have already participated in a German language course at the Goethe Institute in the past six months. The six months refer to the period between when the language course ended and the date of the German language exam. In this case, the price will change automatically during the booking procedure. If not, please contact the course office.
COVID-19 Update: We strongly encourage only those participants who require certification for work/study/travel to register for an exam in order to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.
In accordance with DC Dept. of Health guidelines, anyone traveling to Washington, DC, from any locations other than MD, VA and HI, will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result from within 72 hours before travel in order to be admitted to an exam. If you test positive or have been in close contact with someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19, please stay home. For further information, please click here.
We require masks while inside the Goethe-Institut and strongly encourage the use of N95 or KN95 masks.
If none of the exam dates above are convenient, most of our exams may be booked as individual exams for an additional fee. Please contact us
for further information.
Exam results A1-C1 are made available approximately 10 business days after the exam date. C2 Schreiben results are made available approximately four weeks after the exam date.
Accessible and interactive sample exams and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat B1 exam are available here: