Ideal if you’d like to ...
- prepare to study at a university or institution of higher education in Germany,
- provide evidence of your advanced German skills for a job application
- prepare to work in the medical field in Germany
- provide evidence that you have successfully passed Level B2
- hold an official, internationally recognised certificate
The Goethe-Zertifikat B2 is a German exam for young people and adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired advanced language skills and corresponds to the fourth level (B2) of the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- understand the main contents of complex texts on concrete and abstract topics, as well as technical discussions in your own area of specialization,
- communicate so spontaneously and fluently that a normal conversation with native speakers is readily possible without a great deal of effort on either side,
- express your opinion on current issues in a clear and detailed manner, explain your position on a current issue and state the benefits and drawbacks of various options.
*) The cheaper price displayed applies if you have already participated in a German language course at the Goethe Institute in the past six months. The six months refer to the period between when the language course ended and the date of the German language exam. In this case, the price will change automatically during the booking procedure. If not, please contact the course office.
COVID-19 Update: We strongly encourage only those participants who require certification for work/study/travel to register for an exam in order to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.
In accordance with DC Dept. of Health guidelines, anyone traveling to Washington, DC, from any locations other than MD, VA and HI, will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result from within 72 hours before travel in order to be admitted to an exam. If you test positive or have been in close contact with someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19, please stay home. For further information, please click here.
We require masks while inside the Goethe-Institut and strongly encourage the use of N95 or KN95 masks.
If none of the exam dates above are convenient, most of our exams may be booked as individual exams for an additional fee. Please contact us
for further information.
Exam results A1-C1 are made available approximately 10 business days after the exam date. C2 Schreiben results are made available approximately four weeks after the exam date.
Accessible and interactive sample exams and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat B2 exam are available here: