GAPP supports individuals and schools that organize a student-exchange for a group of 10-20 students. These exchanges must be a minimum of 14 days in duration. Financial support can include travel grants for exchange groups and chaperones, as well as individual scholarships for qualifying students. GAPP coordinators can be provided with professional liability insurance at no cost to them.
Schools without a German program are encouraged to work with their German counterparts so that the Americans can participate in a crash course in German at their partner school in Germany. This should be documented and turned in to the Pädagogischer Austauschdienst (PAD) by the German coordinator after the exchange is complete.
- Is the application complete?
- Is the school a title 1 school?
- Is the group diverse?
At least one year prior to travel:
- Assess interest
- Obtain administrative approval
- Find a partner school
One year prior to travel:
- Contact your partner teacher
- Establish travel dates
- Clarify terms of exchange
- Contact travel agent
- Reserve block of seats
- Make preliminary arrangements for excursions in Germany
Nine months prior to travel:
- “Informational” parent meeting
- Parents organize fundraising
Eight months prior to travel:
- Students apply, are selected and paired with partners
- Student correspondences begin
Seven months prior to travel:
- Prep sessions with students (on-going)
- Discuss behavioral expectations
Six months prior to travel:
- Students apply for passports
One month prior to travel:
- Final parent meeting
- Confirm arrangements with travel agent
- Collect copies of students’ documents
- Complete financial arrangements
- Confirm reservations for excursions
- Secure insurance
- Enjoy! Send us a postcard :)
- Encourage students to correspond with host families
- Evaluate program
- Thank program supporters
- Report to administrators/school board
Three months prior to German students’ arrival:
- Prepare for their visit
- Organize parent committees for field trips and activities
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 212.439.8700 or email email@example.com for more information.
We offer airfare subsidies for GAPP coordinators and their student groups, depending on their region of departure. GAPP also offers scholarships for financially challenged students.
GAPP awards an average of $2,300 in travel grants and student scholarships to U.S. schools.
Once you have concluded your exchange, your feedback is highly appreciated and will help us gather valuable feedback and constantly improve our program. Please find our program evaluation documents for teachers, students and parents/guardians below.
Note: Please make sure to always obtain parental/guardian consent for our GAPP student evaluation.
We are committed to helping teachers and schools throughout the exchange process. GAPP offers training and workshops on coordinating successful exchanges and professional development opportunities.
Workshops and Training
German American Partnership Program is administered by the Goethe-Institut and funded by the German Federal Foreign Office and the U.S. Department of State. GAPP is also supported by the WunderbarTogether Campaign.
In Germany, GAPP is administered by our partner, the Pädagogischer Austauschdienst (PAD).