The German American Partnership Program (GAPP) is part of Germany’s foreign cultural and education policy. It is jointly administered by the Educational Exchange Service (PAD) of the Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the States of the Federal Republic of Germany, Goethe-Institut New York, and GAPP, Inc.
The Program is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, which also bears responsibility for the overall concept. Additional funding is provided by the U.S. Department of State.
The program is designed to achieve the following goals:
- Establish long-lasting interest in the partner country and deepen relations between Germany and the U.S.
- Promote the study of the German language at high schools in the U.S.
- Expand students’ and teachers’ knowledge of the partner country
- Provide intercultural encounters for all participants
- Facilitate acquisition and improvement of proficiency in the target language
- Provide continuing education for exchange coordinators
Learn more about what impact GAPP has had on participating exchange students, schools and local communities and the partner countries Germany and the U.S.
News and Impact
See if there is a GAPP school in your town!
GAPP facilitates enriching cultural exchanges between schools in the U.S. and Germany. Our program inspires intercultural understanding, promotes German language instruction, and fosters new and lasting friendships. Please support our GAPP Scholarship Fund with a donation, which allows students from financially struggling families to take part in their school's GAPP exchange.
Turn on AmazonSmile in your Amazon app, make German American Partnership Program your charity of choice, and support our scholarship fund.
German American Partnership Program is administered by the Goethe-Institut and funded by the German Federal Foreign Office and the U.S. Department of State. GAPP is also supported by the WunderbarTogether Campaign. In Germany, GAPP is administered by our partner, the Pädagogischer Austauschdienst (PAD).