Information for Future Coaches
As a teacher of German, regardless whether you teach at the middle school, high school or college level, you are passionate about sharing your expertise with students and colleagues alike. You are always at their side with insights and advice, are tech-savvy, and acquainted with the latest developments in classroom pedagogy.
The new Goethe-Institut coaching program, conducted exclusively in German, will develop your skills even further so that you will be able to mentor other German teachers. As a graduate of our coaching program, you will work with teachers around the U.S., so that you will not only hone your counseling skills, but get to know first-hand the landscape of teaching German in this country.
Coaches training -- main components
- Qualification in the field of Teaching German as a Foreign or Second Language
- Experience teaching German in an American school or college
- Experience in teacher development in the area of German as a Foreign Language
- Proven expertise in the following one or more areas of teaching German: lesson planning, curriculum development, assessment, project-based learning, task-based language teaching
- Ability to travel (when needed, also outside of one’s own state) two times a year for classroom observations
How does the Coaching Program Work?
The coaching program is free of charge for successful applicants.
The Goethe-Institut covers:
- Program tuition (on-site and online)
- Travel costs to and from training site
- Lodging expenses during training
- Travel costs to and from on-site teacher observations
- If applicable, costs for a substitute teacher
- Honorarium for coaching sessions
Become a coach
Please note that the deadline for the 2020 coaches training is Friday, March 27th 2020.
The online phase preceeding the on-site training in New York will take place from May 18- June 12, 2020.
The on-site training will take place between June 22-26th 2020 at the Goethe-Institut NY.
Sample lesson planning grid
If you wish, you can download and use the sample lesson plan grid below, either in the existing format or as a guide to your own lesson planning form.