German Dual Language Programs
On the way to success with German!
In the past decade we have been witnessing a rising interest in bilingual education among parents and education administrators and, as a result, a significant increase of bilingual programs in public, private and charter schools across the country. The project “German Dual Language Programs” was born out of a clear need to provide a central informational portal and a meeting point for everyone involved in establishing or running German immersion programs as part of formal educational system in the U.S.
The current website addresses three distinct groups of stakeholders -- school administrators, parents, and teachers – and pursues the following goals:
- to present superintendents and principals with compelling arguments for introducing a German dual language program in their district or school as well as with practical guidelines and resources for this undertaking;
- to provide parent initiative groups with the tools for working with their school district on establishing a German dual language program;
- to provide parents – German-speaking or not – with an array of online high quality resources to support their child’s German language learning outside of school;
- to help teachers locate teaching materials, curriculum models and pedagogical guidelines that reflect current best practices in the field of bilingual education;
- to facilitate connections among the growing number of German dual language immersion programs for the purposes of sharing expertise and materials.