Language Program Coordinator
The Goethe-Institut Boston is seeking a Language Program Coordinator for a one-year appointment (option for permanent contract), starting October 1, 2017.
The network of Goethe-Institutes worldwide promotes German language and culture abroad. Our programs feature elements of contemporary German culture within a European setting. We seek to build relationships between the cultural spheres of Germany and the United States on an individual as well as institutional level. Our language program focuses on language courses, exams, and professional development opportunities for teachers.
- Provide information about language course offerings at the Goethe-Institut Boston as well as courses in Germany
- Student registration
- Support in course planning and organization
- Processing of inquiries and compilation of examination materials
- Administer Goethe-Institut examinations and exams for third parties
- Project planning and basic bookkeeping
- Project management and administrative tasks
- Preparation of marketing materials (homepage updates, social media, advertising, etc.)
- Account statements and settlements (billing/clearing) for courses and examinations
- College degree (B.A. or equivalent)
- The qualified candidate should demonstrate high social competence, team work ability, flexibility and be customer-oriented
- Very good command of German and English
- Good command of Microsoft Office, HTML knowledge a plus
- Experience with e-mail marketing, content management systems, and social media
- US work permit
- Employment basis is 75%
- Advanced professional development opportunities
Please note that due to a major renovation, the Goethe-Institut Boston building will be closed for approximately nine months, starting October 1, 2017. The office for the language coordinator will be at the German Consulate General Boston (Three Copley Place, Boston). The language classes will take place at the German International School (57 Holton Street, Allston) and First Church Boston (66 Marlborough Street, Boston). A high level of flexibility and initiative will be required during this time.
The ideal candidate exhibits a high degree of organizational skills, is very motivated and able to work independently. Please email your application, CV and three references before August 31, 2017 or until position is filled to:
Attn.: Dr. Christine Möller-Sahling
Teachers of German as a Foreign Language
The Goethe-Institut Boston is seeking Teachers of German as a Foreign Language to begin now
As of now, the Goethe-Institut Boston is seeking highly motivated teachers to join our team as of now for training seminars and cooperative preparation of language teaching and exam operations at the Goethe-Institut Boston. There will be a period of in-depth familiarization with the Goethe-Institut’s standards and methods of teaching German as a foreign language and the use of digital media in language teaching.
Your Role on the Teaching Staff:
- Teach children, teenagers and adults in German as a Foreign Language
- Ability to teach A1 to C2 levels
- Administer exams of Goethe-Certificates A1 to C2 (Exam Administration Certificate required)
- Participate in staff meetings and further training courses at the institute
- Collaborate with the Language Department, incl. relevant events and projects in the field of teaching and training
- Provide advice to customers on the Goethe-Institut's language courses and exams
- Command of native level German
- Degree in German Studies or qualifications as a Teacher of German as a Foreign Language with an in-depth understanding of related teaching methods
- Previous experience teaching adult-level German as a Foreign Language
- Ability to integrate digital media in the classroom (ie teaching platform, interactive whiteboards and iPad)
- Familiarity with the spectrum of published teaching material for German as a Foreign Language
- Competency in teaching intercultural studies
- High social and intercultural competence
- A contract with competitive conditions
- Introduction to the Goethe-Institut's methods and teaching standards (compensated separately)
- Continuing education opportunities at the institute
Candidates must have a valid work permit for the United States.
Please submit your application (resume and cover letter, names and contact information of two to three references and a draft proposal for a class room lesson related to "housing" (A1-level) by e-mail (max. 2MB).