Studio 170 — Call for Proposals
Looking for a space to realize a creative project in the arts and present it to the public? Apply to be part of Studio 170, the Goethe-Institut’s new Open Space project.
Starting in 2020, we are opening up our unique, flexible space at 170 Beacon Street in Back Bay to artists and creative minds as a “laboratory” for ideas, unaffected by rental, institutional or academic restraints. The goal is to counter the lack of affordable space in the Boston area for artists and creative minds to develop their ideas and projects.
Possible projects can be anything from installations, performances/actions, artist talks, panel discussions and readings to film screenings, exhibitions and digital projects, and beyond. The time frame is flexible within a given two week period. Innovative and experimental projects will be favored.
A jury consisting of renowned artists and curators in New England will select 4-5 projects to be realized between January - December 2020 in our beautifully newly-renovated building.
Applicants are invited to submit proposals along the lines of our current programming topics, although there is no requirement to do so. The topics for this year are:
Democracy / Sustainability / Migration
We offer the use of the Goethe-Institut public space for the duration of the project.
Organizational and Artistic Support:
- All successful applicants will have the opportunity to receive mentoring with our renowned jury members, if so desired.
- Participants will benefit from the publicity surrounding the reopening of the Institut, as well as from the Goethe-Institut’s press work and large network of partnering institutions, cooperating artists and open-minded, diverse audience
- Stipend of up to $1000 for production costs (after a budget has been approved)
- Costs for the vernissage, publicity and accompanying events will be covered.
- Applicants must reside and work in New England
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate past successful projects
- Application deadline is on November 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
- Results will be communicated by the middle of December 2019.
- The first residency is scheduled for January/February 2020. 3-4 addtional residencies are planned for 2020.
Online Application link here!