School Partnerships

Schulpartnerschaften GAPP © Goethe-Institut/Daniel Seiffert

School Partnerships

School partnerships are at the core of the German American Partnership Program. Every GAPP exchange is founded upon a long-lasting partnership between a US and a German school. Today, there are nearly 750 such partnerships between American high schools and German secondary schools. They can be found in 49 states of the U.S. and in all 16 German Bundesländer

The partnerships are formed on the schools’ initiatives. Today, most schools find their partners on the website, which was founded by the German Auswärtige Amt within the framework of the initiative “Schools: Partners for the Future (PASCH).  This forum enables German and foreign schools world-wide to establish international partnerships. You may create your school's profile on the site and get in contact with German schools looking for a partner school in the USA.

The American high school ideally offers German language classes, but this is not a requirement. In case the German program has been discontinued, or in case German classes are planned to be introduced in the future, schools may apply for a grant if they incorporate a jointly planned teaching project into their exchange visits.

In the event that a search on the above platform is unsuccessful, American schools may contact our office.

To start a GAPP exchange at a school and to make it a part of the regular school program, it is vital to have the administrative approval from all necessary bodies.
Once a partnership between an American and a German school is formed and exchanges in accordance with GAPP Guidelines are intended, the participating schools are eligible to be listed with GAPP. Both schools need to file an application with their respective GAPP office. American schools are welcome to apply to GAPP at the Goethe-Institut New York using the Application to GAPP for New School Partnership/Change of Partner
Their German counterparts need to file a corresponding form with the Pädagogicher Austauschdienst (PAD), Bonn, using "Antrag auf Uebernahme einer Schulpartnerschaft".

Both institutions process the forms and exchange their information. Once this is done, the school partnership will be listed and exchanges can take place.
To change partner schools within GAPP, it is very important to inform your partner about your wishes.

If you want to change partners and have not yet found a new match you can also use the website

As soon as you've found a new partner school, we ask you to send the application form (Application to GAPP for School Partnership) to our GAPP office in New York. Your German partner needs to file a corresponding form with the Pädagogicher Austauschdienst (PAD).