Instructor of German as a Foreign Language
Full time position (100%) = 40 hours/week.
Start date is 1 April 2019
The Goethe-Institut is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with a global reach. We promote knowledge of the German language abroad and foster international cultural cooperation. The Goethe-Institut Washington offers German language courses and certificate exams for learners of all proficiency levels.
- Teach German language courses at all levels for adults and teenagers, face-to-face, online and blended
- Assist in the selection and training of internal qualification program Grünes Diplom candidates, training of new German language instructors
- Administer and evaluate German language certificate examinations
- Conduct trainings for examiners both face-to-face and online
- Assist in the planning and conducting of continuing education for teaching staff
- Cooperate in course planning as well as curriculum and materials development
- Assist in the development of new offerings for language department
- Participate at events to promote language course offerings
- University degree (BA or higher), preferably in Teaching German as a Foreign Language (DaF), or university degree in a related field with a certificate in Teaching German as a Foreign Language (internal qualification program Grünes Diplom or equivalent)
- Significant and relevant teaching experience in German as Foreign Language
- Confident and secure handling of digital media and classroom technology such as interactive whiteboards, tablets, etc.
- Proven knowledge of German at the C1 level as defined by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) and native or near-native English language proficiency
- Willingness to work primarily evenings and/or weekends
- Willingness to participate in continuing education courses
- Applicants with knowledge and experience in teaching children and teens will be given priority
- Team player; ability to work under stress
- Working knowledge of all common MS Office products
The Goethe-Institut will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Submission deadline 15 March 2019.
Successful candidates will be invited to an interview during the last week in March.
Please email your written application with the following required documents:
- Letter of Motivation (1/2 – 1 page max.)
- 2-3 references