The GameBox is a digital and physical creative space for creation, collaboration and importantly, play. It is open for use to all individuals interested in games, virtual reality and game development. The space is equipped with gaming laptops that have a selection of independent* games, an Xbox One, a Nintendo Switch, a Playstation 4 and an Oculus Rift (Virtual Reality Headset) that has virtual experiences ranging from rhythm games to Roller Coaster rides.
21 games were selected to start a library of Independent games at the GameBox. The selected games are considered some of the best independent games for their excellence in design, audio, art or innovation. Many of the games consist of short rounds that can be completed in one sitting which is ideal for our arcade setting. To include different genres, action games, rhythm games, puzzle games adventure games and political games were chosen. We have three South African Games: Broforce, Gorn and Jetstream and we have two VR games: Beatsaber and Gorn.
In addition to digital games, the library provides a space for board games that are popular in Germany and South Africa.
*Independent (indie) games are games that are created by small groups of people with little to no budgets. Due to this, indie games have no creative limitations and are often seen as more experimental, expressive and emotive games. South Africa’s game design scene is indie.
This does not represent a complete list of the games we have available, but is a list of games we have specially curated because we think they deserve some spotlight.
Crypt of the NecroDancer is an award winning hardcore roguelike rhythm game. Move to the music and deliver beatdowns to the beat! Groove to the epic Danny Baranowsky soundtrack, or select songs from your own MP3 collection!
- Move on the beat to navigate ever changing dungeons while battling dancing skeletons, zombies, dragons, and more!
- Groove to the game's award winning Danny Baranowsky soundtrack, or select songs from your own MP3 collection!
- Play with keyboard, controller, or even a USB dance pad!
- BONUS: Includes 6 playable remixes of the entire soundtrack. Remixes by FamilyJules, A_Rival, Chipzel, OCRemix, Girlfriend Records, and Virt!
Search for hidden folks in hand-drawn, interactive, miniature landscapes. Unfurl tent flaps, cut through bushes, slam doors, and poke some crocodiles! A strip of targets shows you what to look for. Tap a target for a hint, and find enough to unlock the next area.
- 25+ hand-drawn areas
- 250+ targets to find
- 1600+ mouth-originated sound effects
- 400+ unique interactions
- 3 color modes: normal, sepia, and night mode
- Cloud sync on iOS, Android, and Steam
- 100+ iMessage stickers (iOS only)
- 8 Steam Trading Cards (Steam only)
- 22 languages (translated by the community)
- Supports mouse and keyboard, controller, and touch input.
When evil threatens the world, the world calls on Broforce - an under-funded, over-powered paramilitary organization dealing exclusively in excessive force. Brace your loins with up to four players to run ‘n’ gun as dozens of different bros and eliminate the opposing terrorist forces that threaten our way of life. Unleash scores of unique weapons and set off incredible chain reactions of fire, napalm, and limbs in the name of freedom
- Fully Destructible Everything
- Online and Local Multiplayer for up to 4 Players
- Campaign Co-Op and Deathmatch Modes
- Explosions Runs, Horde Mode, and Suicide Mode
- Level Editor and Level Sharing
- New Missions and Bros Every Month
Press jump to die.
If you lose your head, it’s cool—we have plenty more where that came from! GoNNER is a tough as hell score-based procedurally-generated platformer with roguelike elements. But GoNNER is also a story about friendship between Ikk, Death, and a space whale named Sally.
You will die. A lot. This is by design, but it's not made to feel unfair. You'll eventually get the hang of GoNNER, so don't lose your head. But even if you do it's okay cause we have a lot of replacement heads you can use.
- DAILY CHALLENGES! Only playable once a day. Levels are randomly generated but in this mode everybody plays the same world and use an identical loadout. Everything resets at midnight (Swedish time, UTC+1). Can you crush your leaderboard foes?
- PROCEDURALLY GENERATED! Every time you play the game the levels will be different and present unique challenges and opportunities.
- UNLOCKS! You'll be able to choose from a variety of passive and active abilities at the beginning of each run so be sure to experiment with all of them and find the play style that best suits you
- SECRETS! Secret areas exist in the world of GoNNER, and these areas will get you different items that you can then always use from the beginning of each run. We're not going to tell you how you get to these areas or what the criteria is for even finding them because secrets, duh.
- LEADERBOARDS! Kill creatures, get combos, score points, and brag to your friends how much better you are than them.
- MUSIC! It's really freaking good.
Lose yourself in the clouds in Jetstream, a relaxing puzzle game about guiding planes to their destinations. Jetstream has been designed to be an elegant and frictionless experience - allowing players to lose themselves puzzling over the carefully crafted levels.
- Intuitive easy-to-learn gameplay.
- 14 unique and innovative mechanics.
- 100+ hand-crafted levels.
- Calming, minimalist art style and music.
Description"Hit the road with the definitive version of Mario Kart 8 and play anytime, anywhere! Race your friends or battle them in a revised battle mode on new and returning battle courses. Play locally in up to 4-player multiplayer in 1080p while playing in TV Mode. Every track from the Wii U version, including DLC, makes a glorious return. Plus, the Inklings appear as all-new guest characters, along with returning favorites, such as King Boo, Dry Bones, and Bowser Jr.! "
FeaturesMario Kart 8's new features include anti-gravity racing, in which certain parts of a track can allow racers to drive on walls and ceilings. During these sections, players can bump into other racers or special bumpers to trigger a Spin Boost, which gives them an extra speed boost.
Feel like solving three-dimensional riddles to a frenetic electronic soundtrack? Let Vectronom inject its colorful madness into your life! It’s easy to get into the groove but can you stick to the beat?
A CAPTIVATING ATMOSPHERE
Welcome to the psychedelic world of Vectronom: experience waves of color and a pulsing geometric path that changes with the beat... All set to a hypnotic electronic soundtrack. There’s only one thing to do: turn up the volume and go with the flow.
SOLVE PUZZLES AT THE SPEED OF SOUND
Find your path through an ever-changing world, keeping the rhythm with every move you make. Think it sounds easy? The highly intuitive and addictive gameplay will keep you moving through daunting challenges... But how long will you last when the challenges get trickier and trickier? Better play to find out!
PLAY ON YOUR OWN OR WITH FRIENDS
Set off on a solo campaign with just your headphones for company, or invite a few friends to join the party! ♪ UNTZ! UNTZ! UNTZ! ♪
Co-produced and published by ARTE, Vectronom is the first video game from independent studio Ludopium. The prototype was developed in the Franco-German accelerator program Spielfabrique. The game has already won several awards, including “Best Game” at the Indie Arena Booth at Gamescom 2018 and GDC’s “Best in Play” 2019.
- A challenging solo campaign that will completely entrance you
- A drop-in, drop-out multiplayer mode that will hypnotize your friends
- Colorful and atmospheric levels with a powerful electronic soundtrack
- Hobby composer can sync their own tracks with the game by connecting an analog synthesizer to the headphone output.
- BONUS: the game is compatible with digital dance mats and MIDI instruments, so it won’t just be your fingertips showing off their best moves!