The Gamebox at the Goethe-Institut offers the ideal environment to get to know and try out new digital games. We permanently offer and expand a curated selection of games from Germany and sub-Saharan Africa. Technical features such as an ultra-high definition screen, Playstation 4 with virtual reality glasses, the Xbox One and Nintendo Switch offer ideal conditions to engage in new games and have new experiences. A special emphasis is placed on the presentation of games by independent game developers and gaming startups. Another reason for acquiring games is if they have won an award, e.g. the German Digital Games Prize, as is the case with the games we currently have in our Gamebox.
Partners of the Gamebox are the Digital Arts Department of WITS University, AMAZE Festival, Fak’ugesi Festival.
The following games are currently available in the Gamebox:
- Anno 2205 (Best German Game in 2016)
- Shift Happens (Best Children's Game and Best Game design 2016)
- Fire (Best Children's Game 2015)
- In Between (the best newcomer concept 2015)
- The Inner World (Best German Game 2014)
- The Last Tinker - City of Colors (Best Game design 2015)
- TRI - Of Friendship and Madness (Best Youth Play 2015)
In addition to digital games, the library provides a space for board games that are popular in Germany and South Africa.
No time to visit us in person? You can also check out the free games that were created in association with independent video game developers during some of our GameBox Projects here: