Heirat Foto: © colourbox.de


In many countries people marry at the register office. That is a state-recognised marriage. That’s how things are in Germany too. You can also marry in church. The church wedding takes place after the register office one.

Would you like to get married in Germany? Then you need to register at the register office in your place of residence. You need some documents to register: your registration card, your ID or passport and your birth certificate. Do you and your partner have children together? Then you also need to bring the children’s documents. You need to have these documents translated into German. They need to be signed by a notary to show that the translations are correct. He has to authenticate the translations.  

If you have got married, you will be issued with a new document by the register office: the marriage certificate. If you like, they can also give you a family register, which contains information about your family.

Did you get married in your native country? Then you must have been given a document there. This document is your foreign marriage certificate. You can have it recognised at your register office in Germany. 

Wedding celebrations

Most people have a big party to celebrate their wedding. The bride – the wife – often wears a white wedding dress. Many couples also buy wedding rings. At the wedding, the bridegroom – the husband – receives a ring from his wife, and the wife receives a ring from her husband.

You can find more information on the topic of “International marriage” can be found on the Federal Foreign Office website.

Information about “Subsequent entry of spouses” – in other words when you come to Germany to be with your husband or wife, can be found on the BAMF website.

Frequently asked questions

My partner and I don’t live in Germany yet. But we want to get married in Germany. Where can we find information?

I still live in my native country. But I want to get married in Germany. How do I apply for a visa?

I married abroad. Is my marriage valid in Germany as well?

Where can I have my foreign marriage certificate authenticated?

I am having marital problems. Where can I get help?

More questions? Contact the advisors at the Youth Migration Services.