Bauhaus-University Weimar. Photo: Andreas Ruhe
Bauhaus University’s main building, including its Oberlichtsaal (Skylight Hall), was completed in 1911 after designs by Henry van de Velde. Giving expression to “unity of form and function,” the building was one of the first art school buildings in Europe, where representative appearance gave way to a modern design. From 1919 until 1925, it was the seat of the Staatliche Bauhaus Weimar – a new kind of art school, a pioneer of modernity.
Geschwister-Scholl-Straße 8 | 99423 Weimar