Park Cave/Parkhöhle. Photo: Jens Hauspurg. © Klassik Stiftung Weimar
The Parkhöhle is a system of tunnels underneath the Park an der Ilm. It owes its existence to Duke Carl August’s desire to have his own brewery. Between 1794 and 1796, an approx. 500-meter tunnel was dug under the park to carry off the brewery’s wastewater. After the plan to build the brewery was dropped, the tunnel was used between 1797 and 1815 to mine sand and gravel. Today, the Parkhöhle is home to a museum and a lecture room and takes visitors on a journey through 200,000 years of geological and human history.
Park an der Ilm | 99423 Weimar