Kunsthalle Foto: Martin Schick
In 1880, the “Permanent Art Exhibition” was founded in the building of a former brick factory. In 1892, the exhibition space was enlarged by adding a glass-roofed room that, and in 1897, was decorated with a Venetian palace style facade. In 1903, the “Permanent Art Exhibition” was renamed the “Grand Ducal Museum of Arts and Crafts,” with Harry Graf Kessler serving as its director from 1903 until 1906. It was only in 1955 that the building was again used as a place for special exhibitions. Since 2006, the Kunsthalle “Harry Graf Kessler” has been operated by the City Museum of Weimar and the Department of Culture of the City of Weimar. In the spring and summer of 2016, the Kunsthalle will show works by artist Wolf Bertram Becker; during the Kultursymposium Weimar, it will be home to the “Barter Museum.
Goetheplatz 9B | 99423 Weimar