1. Enrolment requirements
1.1 Minimum age: As stated in the exam guidelines.
1.2 The following exams are offered by the Goethe-Institut (the Goethe-Institut reserves its right not to offer certain exams if there are insufficient numbers of Participants or other circumstances justifying it):
1.2.1 Exams for adults: Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1, Goethe-Zertifikat A2, Goethe-Zertifikat B1, Goethe-Zertifikat B2, Goethe-Zertifikat C1, Goethe-Zertifikat C1 and Goethe-Zertifikat C2.
1.2.2 Exams for young persons: Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Fit in Deutsch 1, Goethe-Zertifikat A2: Fit in Deutsch, Goethe-Zertifikat B1 für Jugendliche, Goethe-Zertifikat B2 für Jugendliche.
1.2.3 Modular Exam: Goethe-Zertifikat B1, Goethe-Zertifikat B1 für Jugendliche, Goethe-Zertifikat B2, Goethe-Zertifikat B2 für Jugendliche, Goethe-Zertifikat C2.
1.3.1 Registrations take place on a first come, first served basis.
1.3.2 The Goethe-Institut will only process complete registration.
1.3.3 A confirmed registration is not transferrable to another person.
1.4 Rewriting of Exams
1.4.1 Participants that wish to rewrite an exam, need to complete a new registration form
1.4.2 Rewrite of a module or a full examination is available on request.
1.5 Participants with special needs:
1.5.1 Participants with special needs must inform the Goethe-Institut in writing of the type and extent of their special need at least 30 business days before the start of the exam.
1.5.2 The aforementioned request must be submitted with proof to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1.5.3 The required printed form, that the participant will receive after informing the Goethe-Institut of their special needs, must be completed by a general practitioner or relevant specialist.
1.5.4 Further information can be viewed here
2. Terms of Payment / Fees
2.1 Transfer is currently the only acceptable means of payment.
2.2 Exam fees:
2.2.1 Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 / Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Fit in Deutsch 1 – 20,000 NGN for internals and 27,000 NGN for externals
2.2.2 Goethe-Zertifikat A2 / Goethe-Zertifikat A2: Fit in Deutsch – 20,000 NGN for internals and 27,000 NGN for externals
2.2.3 Goethe-Zertifikat B1 / Goethe-Zertifikat B1 für Erwachsene – 28,000 NGN for internals 32,000 NGN for externals
2.2.4 Goethe-Zertifikat B2 / Goethe-Zertifikat B2 für Erwachsene – 28,000 NGN for internals 32,000 NGN for externals
2.2.5 Goethe-Zertifikat C1 – 35,000 NGN
2.3 The full exam fee is payable on the day of registration.
3. Cancellation and refunds
3.1 Cancellations must be submitted in writing. The date of cancellation shall be the date of receipt at the Goethe-Institut Nigeria.
3.2 A cancellation fee of 50% is applicable should you cancel from 6-10 working days before exam date.
3.2 A cancellation fee of 80% is applicable should you cancel from 1-5 working days before exam date.
3.3 No refunds will be possible on or after the exam date.
4. Requirements on exam date
4.1 Original valid passport: Participants without their passport will be excluded from the exam.
4.2 Participants are required to adhere to the exam schedule. Late comers will be excluded from the exam.
5. Exam results
5.1 All exam results will be available from 2 weeks after the oral exam. Exceptions could arise, depending on circumstances.
6. The terms and conditions of the exam administration can be viewed here:
6.1 Durchführungsbestimmung A1
6.2 Durchführungsbestimmung A2
6.3 Durchführungsbestimmung B1
6.4 Durchführungsbestimmung B2
6.5 Durchführungsbestimmung C1
6.6 Durchführungsbestimmung C2
6.7 They can also be viewed in the library and at the reception of the Goethe-Institut Nigeria.
7. The exam guidelines can be viewed here:
7.2 It can also be viewed in the library as well as the reception of the Goethe-Institut Nigeria.
8.1 All our international exams take place at Goethe-Institut Nigeria. 30, Catholic Mission Street Opp. Holy Cross Cathedral Lagos Island, Lagos.
8.2 The Participant shall observe all the security regulations of the Goethe-Institut.
8.3 Should any of the Participant’s details provided during registration change, the Participant shall forthwith and without delay notify the Goethe-Institut thereof in writing.
8.4 In the event of the Goethe-Institut instructing attorneys in regard to any breach of the Participant of the conditions of this agreement then the Participant shall pay all the costs on the scale between Attorney and own Client, including any costs incidental to such action instituted against the Participant.
8.5 The Goethe-Institut reserves its right to change the terms and conditions for the next examination date and inform the Participant in writing or through a call.
9. Liability of the Goethe-Institut
9.1 The Participant agrees that the Institute and all its directors, employees, instructors, invigilators assistants, service providers, agents and representatives (hereinafter referred to as “the Indemnified Parties”) are not responsible for any death, illness, injury, loss or damage of any kind sustained by the Participant which may arise from taking part in the exam and all related activities, caused in any manner whatsoever.
9.2 The Participant waives any and all claims or actions that the Participant may have against the Indemnified Parties as a result of the Participant’s enrolment and participation in the examination.
9.3 The Goethe-Institut also accepts no liability for the cancellation of its services due to force majeure (e.g. natural disasters, fire, floods, war, official orders and all other circumstances beyond the control of the contractual parties).
10. Privacy Protection
10.1 The Goethe-Institut collects, processes and uses the personal data of the Participant both for the purpose of fulfilling the agreement signed with the Participant and as permitted by law and under the terms of any signed declaration of consent in compliance with privacy protection laws.
11. For certain visa application procedures (e.g. immigration of spouses, study), the German diplomatic missions abroad require proof of the applicant's knowledge of German and, if necessary, additional information to verify the certificates provided.
By submitting the registration form, the candidate gives his/her consent for his/her personal information and information about the examination taken to be provided to the relevant diplomatic mission
On the designated days of exam registration, you can apply here
. Unless otherwise noted, the registration link will be activated at 09:00am, and will always be done on a first-come first-served basis. Exam registration is highly competitive and there are limited slots, therefore endeavour to apply on time.
Here is a step-by-step guide on what to do:
I do not have a profile. How do I create one?
- Go to the date of the exam you wish to book for and select “BOOK” (A1 & A2) or “SELECT MODULES” (B1 & B2).
- For B1 and B2 Candidates, select precise module. Untick or Tick as desired. Click on “CONTINUE” when done.
- For candidates below 18 years, a legal guardian will be needed to book on behalf of the candidate.
- Log in using the email address and password of your profile. If you do not have a profile yet, you may create a new one.
- Check your personal data and include additional details as necessary. Ensure your names are exactly as they appear on the international passport data page. Click “CONTINUE”, go over the payment details and put in a promotional code if you have any. Otherwise, continue your registration.
- Review the information displayed on the screen for correctness before ordering for your examination.
- Upon successful registration, a confirmation will be sent to you. This confirmation will include:
- The exact amount of the examination fee to be paid
- Goethe-Institut Nigeria's bank account details
- Your personal examination code, which must reflect in the payment of the exam fee
- The payment deadline.
- After payment, you are to send the following documents in .pdf format to email@example.com:
- A scanned copy of your international passport
- A scanned passport photograph
- A copy of the proof of payment; including exam code, 006)
- Your documents will thereafter be processed, and you will be sent the exam invite, indicating:
- Location of the exam
- Time of the exam
- COVID-19 Health declaration
Can someone else do the registration for me?
- On the home page of the Goethe Institut website, www.goethe.de
- Click on MEIN GOETHE.DE – SIGN IN on the top right corner.
- Go to LOG IN and then REGISTER. Enter your email address, your (personal, chosen by you) password and country and then click REGISTER to end the process.
- A confirmation email with the sender 'noReply-kdf' and heading 'My Goethe.de / activate access' that you have registered successfully will be sent to your mail inbox as well as a link to proceed with your registration. (Warning: If you do not see any emails, kindly check your 'spam'. If this is not the case, you may have made a mistake when entering your email address. Go back to the registration page on MeinGoethe.de. If you attempt to log in and receive a message that the address has already been registered, the problem lies elsewhere. If that is the case, please inform the language course office or your instructor.
- The link in the mail will take you back to the log-in page. Enter your email address and password, and then click LOGIN.
- Click again on your personal username and then on MEIN GOETHE.DE. This will take you to your user page, where you can edit your personal profile. If you click on 'MY PROFILE' on the 'Personal Details' section, fill in the form as required.
Yes, it is possible for someone else to register you, as long as the person can provide your personal details correctly. It is however better to register yourself to avoid mistakes with your personal details,
When is the next exam registration?
You can find the dates for our exam registration here. They are also announced on our Social Media Platforms:
Instagram & Twitter: @gi_nigeria
I registered more than once for an exam. What do I do?
If you register more than once for an exam, please inform the language office immediately: firstname.lastname@example.org
. The double booking must be deleted from your profile. This will accord another candidate the opportunity to register and eliminate the problem of having a double booking.
I do not have a passport. Can I register for the exam?
You are required to have your valid international passport as means of identity for all exam registrations.
My passport is not ready / at the consulate. Can I still register and sit for the exam?
To register, all you need is a copy of your international passport. However, on the day of the exam, you MUST present the original copy of your passport. If your passport will not be available on the day of the exam, you have to pre-inform the language office at least 3 working days before the exam via email attaching the proof that your passport is indeed being processed at the immigration office, at the Austrian embassy or the German Consulate. The language department will then confirm whether you will be allowed to sit for the exam with or without it.
Can I register for any exam level? Even if I have not written any exam at the Goethe-Institut before?
Yes. You can register for any level you wish for, without having sat for a Goethe-Zertifikat exam before.
How can I prepare for the Goethe-Zertifikat exams?
You can find practice materials on our website here
and you can find other helpful apps and materials here. These links will help you improve your German proficiency as you prepare for the next examinations.
When will results be out and how do I check mine?
Examination results are published online within a month of the exam and may be checked through your profile. Log into your Goethe profile and go to “Exams”. Enter your exam number, and you will view the exams you have taken, the details and results. Select as appropriate.
How long does it take for my certificate to be ready?
Generally, certificates are ready within 3-5 working days after publication of the result. It may sometimes take a bit longer. You can contact the language department through email or phone call, to confirm if your certificate is ready.
How can I pick up my certificate?
To know and confirm when to pick up your certificate, kindly send an email to email@example.com
. You will then be given an appointment.
Can someone help me pick up my certificate?
Yes. You may have your certificate picked up by an acquaintance. The person will however need to present with the following:
Can I have a courier service pick up my certificate?
- A copy of your examination slip
- A copy of your international passport data page
- A letter of authorisation, referencing the person picking up
- A valid means of identity by the acquaintance
Yes. You will need to have submitted a self-addressed prepaid courier envelope at the language office on the day of the exam. The certificate will be sent to you, once they are issued.
How long does it take for my certificate to expire?
All Goethe-Zertifikat Certificates- A1, A2, B1, B2, C1 and C2 - do not expire. However, many institutions and employers may demand that your certificate should not be older than a certain amount of time.
Can the Goethe-Institut authenticate or certify my certificate?
The Goethe-Institut does not certify its certificates. Should an institution or organisation require a certified certificate, you may get it done at a notary office. Or book an appointment at the German Consulate.
Can I get a refund for an exam that I missed?
Cancellations must be submitted in writing. The date of cancellation shall be the date of receipt at the Goethe-Institut Nigeria. A cancellation fee of 50% is applicable should you cancel from 6-10 working days before exam date. A cancellation fee of 80% is applicable should you cancel from 1-5 working days before exam date. No refunds will be possible on or after the exam date.
I would like to talk to someone. Is there a number I can call?
Yes, you can call the reception on +234 (1) 4549515 from Mondays to Fridays between 08:30 a.m. and 04:30 p.m.