In cooperation with STEPS, DocNet Southeast Asia organizes a workshop at the Goethe-Institut Hanoi to initiate the global documentary film project Steps to Dream about the young generation in Asia and their dreams for the future. The project intends to produce documentary films with local stories from Asia, working with established filmmakers and emerging talents from the region, provide training and mentorship throughout the course of production and build a bridge between independent filmmakers and TV broadcasters.
This kick-off workshop gathers independent filmmakers and broadcasters from Southeast Asia to explore following questions with co-founder of STEPS and commissioning editor Iikka Vehkalahti:
- How to develop a story for an international audience?
- How to develop an important topic or issue into a film, with a strong story (not necessary narrative), tension and flow?
- How to take the demands of the various platforms ( mobile, net, tv, festivals, cinemas) into consideration when making a documentary?
- How to bridge the gap between independent filmmakers and TV production?
- How to build co-operations?