Frequently-asked questions – Housing

I am having problems finding accommodation. Where can I get help?

You can consult Migration advice for adult immigrants (MBE) or the Youth Migration Services (JMD). They will provide you with information and help. You can also get an estate agent to help you: Go to the website www.gelbeseiten.de. Type “Immobilienmakler” (estate agents) in the “Was” (What) box. Enter your town in the “Wo” (Where) box. You will then be shown a list of estate agents. If the agent finds accommodation for you, you will have to pay him commission. It is usually equivalent to 2 to 3 months’ rent.

Accommodation in my region is too expensive, I can’t afford it. Where can I get help?

Many places in Germany have social housing. It’s less expensive. If you want to move into social housing, you need a certificate of eligibility for social housing (WBS). You can find out more information from the housing office. Another option is housing benefit. That’s financial assistance from the state. You can find out more about this from the local authority in your community or town/city.

Additional information for asylum seekers

The amount of accommodation costs borne by the Social Welfare Office depends on various factors, e.g. the living conditions, the age and duration of stay of the asylum seeker. For this reason, no general statements can be made on this matter.

Therefore please contact your local authority or city administration. You can find out more information specific to your personal situation there.

You may also contact Migration Advice or support networks. These can be found in the “Help” section under “Addresses for refugees: support networks and initiatives

I have found accommodation. But I am uncertain as to whether the rental agreement is all right. Where can I get help?

You can find more detailed information on this subject on the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees website. Every town or city also has a residents’ association. If you are a member they will help you with all your rent-related queries. But it costs money. You can also go to the consumer centre for advice. You can find your nearest consumer centre by looking on the www.verbraucherzentrale.de website.

I have moved into my new accommodation. What do I have to think about now?

You have to register yourself. Take your tenancy agreement and go to the residents’ registration office/records office. You have to do that quickly – in some federal states you only have 7 days. Every household has to pay a monthly charge for television, radio and/or computer with internet. You can find information on the www.rundfunkbeitrag.de website. You can also have your post forwarded. Your letters and parcels will then be sent to the new address. You can find information on this at the www.deutschepost.de website.

More questions? Contact the advisors at the Youth Migration Services.