Further informationBack to Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1
A good place to start: the exam sections
The Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 exam comprises reading, listening, writing and speaking sections. The speaking section of the exam is completed in a group.
The exam is administered and evaluated in the same way all over the world.
You will be asked to read texts such as brief notes, classified advertisements, signposts and posters and complete exercises on these texts.
Duration: 25 minutes
You will be asked to fill in simple forms and write a short text about yourself on an everyday topic.
Duration: 20 minutes
You will be asked to listen to short everyday conversations, telephone messages or public announcements over a loudspeaker and complete exercises on what you have heard.
Duration: approx. 20 minutes
You will be asked to introduce yourself to the group before taking part in a question-and-answer session on everyday matters and asking someone in the group forsomething.
Duration: 15 minutes
The Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 is a German exam for adults.
The Goethe-Institut exams are available to all interested parties and can be taken regardless of age and nationality.
- A minimum age of 16 years is recommended to take the Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 exam.
- To sit the Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 exam, candidates must have German language skills corresponding to the first level of competence (A1) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- To reach this level, candidates need to have completed between 80 and 200 45-minute units of teaching, depending on their previous knowledge and learning requirements.
What else is important to know?
- Exam guidelines (PDF, 337 KB)
- Terms and conditions for the exam administration (PDF, 303 KB)
- Supplement to the Terms and Conditions for Exam Administration: Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 228 KB)
- Information for Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 57 KB)
- Manual Examination goals and test description (PDF, 3,3 MB)
- Glossary (PDF, 699 KB)