CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Curator for an Exhibition on African Feminist Perspectives
The House of African Feminisms (HoAF) – a project by the Goethe-Institut – is looking for a curator for an exhibition on African Feminist Perspectives.
The House of African Feminisms (HoAF) is a platform for feminist discourse, resource, and enlightenment. The project aims at highlighting the works of various African feminist scholars, artists and thinkers around the world as well as providing a resource on African feminisms. It is anchored on a strong concept/idea of cultural exchange, networking, and inclusivity.
The Goethe-Institut is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with a global reach. We promote knowledge of the German language abroad and foster international cultural cooperation. We convey a comprehensive picture of Germany by providing information on Germany's cultural, social and political life.
We are seeking a creative and motivated Curator to curate an exhibition with digital content showcasing works by female artists from Africa and the African diaspora working on African feminisms and different perspectives. The final exhibition will be offered to 16 Goethe-Institutes in the region of Sub-Sahara Africa – a first installation is planned for October of 2024. The selected candidate will also be involved in the development of a communication plan for the project. They should be well-versed and networked in the fields of African feminisms and have experience in the curating of exhibitions and project management.
The Curator will work closely with the HoAF project team, either remotely or from one of our offices for, starting from 15 January 2024 to 1 February 2024. The contract will end upon finalisation of the exhibition on 15 December 2024.
- Develop a strong curatorial concept including artworks and options for a framing program (talks, podcasts etc) for a traveling exhibition with digital artworks.
- Curate an exhibition of digital artworks by African and African diaspora artists dealing with African feminisms.
- Commissioning new works by relevant artists or selecting already existing artworks from the House of African Feminisms website and beyond.
- Communicate with and contract exhibition artists.
- Write exhibition texts and other relevant material.
- Closely collaborate with the social media team and other project team members to develop a communications strategy.
- Provide regular progress reports to the project team members.
- Monitor the exhibition budget and report on project expenditure.
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant work experience
- Experience in project management and budget monitoring
- Experience in planning and curating exhibitions
- Expertise in the discourse on African Feminisms and feminist arts
Method of Selection & Supplemental Information
- Please send your application, including a motivation letter (referring to qualifications above), a one-pager exhibition concept, CV, and references, all documents combined in one PDF document with the subject line “HoAF exhibition” to Nchito, Chilufya Chilufya.Nchito.email@example.com.
- The deadline for applications is 15 December 2023.