The International Forum is a two-week scholarship programme organised by the Berliner Festspiele’s Theatertreffen and sponsors theatre makers from all parts of the world. As a field for creative experimentation and a space for utopian thought, it provides performative and discursive Exchange in an international context and endeavours to open hybrid spaces in which the boundaries between performing arts, visual arts and science become fluid. Engaging in forms of international cooperation is a defining element of this congregation of fellows.
Artists from all parts of the world may apply. Deadline for applications for the International Forum 2020:
8. December 2019
The Theatertreffen takes place from 1th to 17th of May 2020.
The International Forum opens on Friday 1rd of May 2020 at approximately 6 pm
and ends in thelate night of Sunday, 17th May 2020.
The International Forum’s programme is based on the following elements:
- introductory lectures by all fellows
- attending performances of the productions invited to the Theatertreffen as well as selected Stückemarkt events
- workshops with artists, experts and researchers
- exclusive artist talks and events related to the productions invited to the Theatertreffen, featuring artists involved in these productions
- participation in the discursive programme of the Theatertreffen
- discussions with the Theaterrtreffen's directors and members of the jury
- working groups on overarching issues
- exchange with international theatre directors and curators in cooperation with the Goethe-Institut
- audience discussions and opening night parties at the Theatertreffen
- Excursions and attendance at additional performances in Berlin
- tickets to Theatertreffen-performances and selected Stückemarkt-events
- travel expenses depending on the country of origin: full coverage (most economic travel option)/partial coverage/ no coverage - please ask your local Goethe-Institut
- hotel accommodation incl. breakfast (excluding fellows who are residents in Berlin
- catering or per diem according to german law
- be no older than 35 years
- have several years of independent professional experience
- be working continually in a professional artistic capacity
- be available to participate over the entire period (1rd to 17th May 2020)
- have an adequate knowledge of German (at least B2); exceptions for non German-speaking participants are possible only at the suggestion of a Goethe-Institut
- have a good or very good knowledge of English, because a large part of the events will be held in English
The current main location of their work is the determining factor.
Deadline for appications for the International Forum2020: 8.december 2019
I. Germany - Austria
Artists whose current main location of work is in Germany and Austria can apply directly to the Berliner Festspiele.
Applications from Germany and Austria should be sent per e-mail to:
Artists with a current main location of work in Switzerland apply via the Swiss Cultural foundation Pro Helvetia.
The application should be submitted via the application portal :
Artists with a current main location of work outside the German-language countries should apply via the Goethe-Institute responsible for the region of their main location of work.
Full list of the Goethe Institutes
Please contact the respective Goethe-Institut, preferably before you apply, to find out the exact application formalities. In general your application must contain:
- completed application form (you will get it from your local Goethe-Institut)
- artistic curriculum vitae, reviews, links (to visual, sound and text media)
- a portrait photo (minimum size: 300 dpi at approx. 500 KB)
- letter of recommendation from professionals in the field of theatre/ art/ culture, or from alumni of the International Forum
- a letter of motivation with written answers to the following questions (max. three A4-pages):
1. What do you hope to gain from the exchange at the International Forum and what is the perspective that you will contribute?
2. What characterises your projects or working methods and why would they benefit from international exchange?
3. How are socio-political developments reflected in your work?
From February 2019 applicants will receive invitations.
The International Forum is a Project of the Theatertreffen , division Berliner Festspiele / Kulturveranstaltungen des Bundes in Berlin GmbH. It takes place with the cooperation of the Goethe Institute and the Swiss cultural foundation Pro Helvetia. It is supported by the German stage Association in Baden-Württemberg. Further Sponsors are the Federal Chancellery of the Republic of Austria (section: art), the regional Ministries of Culture of the Federal Republic of Germany, the Cultural Administration of the City of Munich and the Cultural Foundation of the Free State of Saxony.