Back to Goethe-Zertifikat C2: GDS
Make your mark! The modules
The Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam comprises reading, listening, writing and speaking modules. The speaking module is completed individually. The exam is administered and evaluated in the same way all over the world.
The writing module exercises relating to pieces of literature are compiled in collaboration with the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
The four modules can be taken individually or together, with four separate module certificates being the equivalent of the single all-round certificate.
The reading, listening and speaking modules are all evaluated at the exam centre, while the evaluation of the writing module is coordinated by the Goethe-Institut’s primary testing centre.
Literature 2022 for the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: GDS
Gilgi – eine von uns
€ 11,00 (D) | eBook € 6,99 (D)
€ 11,00 (D) | eBook € 10,99 (D)
Literature 2023 for the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: GDS
Roman der Augsburger Puppenkiste
€ 24,00 (D) | eBook € 14,99 (D)
from March 8, 2022: btb Verlag
€ 12,00 (D)
Dana von Suffrin
€ 11,00 (D) | eBook € 9,99 (D)
You will be asked to read specialised non-fiction texts, commentaries, reports and advertisements and complete various exercises on these texts. You will be required to demonstrate an ability to understand these texts effortlessly and grasp their implicit meaning, even when the texts are abstract, contain complex language and deal with complicated topics.
Duration: 80 minutes
You will be asked to reword parts of a short report and write a text on a general topic or a topic related to a piece of literature. This text should read like a well-structured letter to the editor or book review and should be written in an appropriate style. There are two general topics and one topic on each of the two books on the reading list to choose from. You are required to work on one of these four topics.Duration: 80 minutes
You will be asked to listen to reports and media coverage, informal discussions and interviews with experts all spoken at a natural speed and complete various exercises on what you have heard.
Duration: approx. 35 minutes
You will be asked to give a presentation on a complex topic such as globalisation and, in doing so, demonstrate an ability to respond to questions which require you to explain your line of argument by using further examples. You will also be required to take part in a discussion on a second topic in which you explain whether you are for or against a particular statement, respond to counter-arguments and try to convince your conversation partner of your position.Duration: approx. 15 minutes
RequirementsThe Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom is a German exam for adults.
The Goethe-Institut exams are available to all interested parties and can be taken regardless of age and nationality.
- A minimum age of 18 years is recommended to take the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam.
- To sit the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam, candidates must have German language skills corresponding to the sixth and highest level of competence (C2) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- To reach this level of competence, candidates need to have completed at least 1,000 45-minute units of teaching, depending on their previous knowledge and learning requirements.
What else is important to know?
- Exam guidelines (PDF, 337 KB)
- Terms and conditions for the exam administration (PDF, 344 KB)
- Supplement to the Terms and Conditions for Exam Administration: Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 228 KB)
- Information for Exam Participants with Special Needs (PDF, 57 KB)
- Manual Examination goals and test description (PDF, 300 KB)