In response to this challenge, the Goethe-Institut will open its auditorium “Studio Takhshīna ستوديو تخشينة" in Bustan to independent artists/groups to work on their artistic processes in a work space environment that is fully equipped and will be open for the full year.
In Egyptian colloquial Arabic, the word “Takhshīna تخشينة" describes an item you use to aid the functionality and stability of a household item like a wobbly table or a door that is missing a piece to regain either its original mobility or function.
It is our objective for this project to provide the same kind of aid to the independent art scene in Egypt, which is why we chose the name that inspired this meaning from the very heart of the Egyptian culture and everyday life.
THE GOETHE-INSTITUT IN BUSTANWhen Ahmed Mohamed Mazloum Pasha came to Cairo in 1920, he had a villa built in the exclusive residential area of Bustan. The plans for the construction came from the French architect Roulan and all materials except the bricks, that are still forming the dominating architectural feature, were imported from France. To this day, Ahmed Mazloum Pasha's initials are engraved on the main entrance.
The 1959 cultural agreement between Republic of Egypt and the Federal Republic of Germany enabled Germany to buy this house in 1961 for the Goethe-Institut. Since then, the building has witnessed many historical moments and has become a landmark cultural hub in the company of other cultural institutions in Downtown Cairo. The building’s event hall will now serve the art scene as the “Studio Takhshīna ستوديو تخشينة”.
- We offer the room as rehearsal and working space, for meetings and workshops and whatever other format comes to mind for artists/groups, who are looking for either a space or venue. The room can be made available for a fixed duration.
- It may be arranged to open the studio up for a small public event by the end of the studio time, if the artist/group wishes to present their work/work in progress.
- Egypt-based artists/groups from different artistic disciplines are welcome to apply. (Please note that: while artists/groups from outside Cairo are welcome to apply, the Goethe-Institut will not be able to assist with accommodations or other logistics outside the use of the studio space)
- Artists/Groups should submit a short note explaining
- What the room would be used for
- The dates for which they would like to use the room, since we will try to make the room available for as many artists/groups as possible, precise information will help us reconcile need and availability.
- A short background to the artist/group
- Users have to abide by and respect the house rules during their stay in the premises.
- Near the end of the work period, we will ask for a reporting and evaluation session from the artists.
- A visitor from the cultural department team of the Goethe-Institut Cairo may be visiting during working hours for assessment and follow-up purposes.
Due to the Goethe-Institut’s health regulations throughout April/ June 2021 you can only apply as solo artist for rehearsal space or organize workshops and meetings with up to 5 people.
If your application is accepted and the studio time you requested during the period from April 5th 2021 to June 30th 2021 is available, you will receive a confirmation email from our team by the beginning of April 2021.