After passing the examination, you will be able to do the following, for example:
- understand what you hear in everyday situations, such as simple questions, instructions and messages, as well as messages on an answerphone, public announcements and brief conversations,
- obtain relevant information from short written messages, public notices and classified advertisements,
- state and understand figures, quantities, times and prices,
- fill in personal details and basic information on forms,
- write brief personal messages,
- introduce yourself in a conversation and answer simple personal questions,
- formulate and respond to common everyday queries and requests.
RecognitionCertificates issued by the Goethe-Institut are recognized throughout the world.
The Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 can be used by spouses as proof of the German language skills that are required for them to be reunified with their partners in Germany.
Locations, prices, dates and enrolmentYou can find the Goethe-Institut or examination partner closest to you here, along with information on locations, prices, dates and enrolment.
Reunification of spousesThe Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 and all higher Goethe certificates (A2 to C2) are recognized as proof of language ability in the new Immigration Act of July 2007 (and for reunification of spouses in the visa process).
However, placement tests, course certificates, confirmation of participation, etc. are not regarded as sufficient proof.
In exceptional cases, certificates from other examinations may be recognized in connection with a visa application as long as they are equivalent to the Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1. Please obtain more specific information about this from your nearest German embassy or consulate.
Goethe certificates can be obtained at Goethe-Institutes or through our examination partners around the world.
Under the section “Frequently asked questions” you will find general answers on the Goethe-Institut exams.