Ideal if you'd like to ...
- prepare to study at a university or institution of higher education in Germany
- demonstrate a very advanced knowledge of German for employment purposes
- prepare to work in the medical field in Germany
- provide evidence that you have successfully passed level C1
- hold an official, internationally recognised certificate
The Goethe-Zertifikat C1 is a German exam for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired advanced language skills and corresponds to the fifth level (C1) of the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
You can take the new modular Goethe-Zertifikat C1 from 1 January 2024. You can find materials and information on the exam under "Practice materials" and "Further information".
The new modular Goethe-Zertifikat C1 will replace the current exam in 2024 worldwide. Please take this into account when planning your exam date.
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- use the German language effectively and flexibly in public, academic and vocational context,
- understand a wide range of complex, longer texts including appreciation of implicit meanings,
- produce well-structured and detailed texts on a range of complex topics,
- express themselves spontaneously and fluently and argue a position convincingly.
Please contact your university, institution of higher education or preparatory course provider before your course of study is due to begin to find out if the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 is able to grant you exemption from taking a language entrance test for foreign students.
*) The cheaper price displayed applies if you have already participated in a German language course at the Goethe Institute in the past six months. The six months refer to the period between when the language course ended and the date of the German language exam. In this case, the price will change automatically during the booking procedure. If not, please contact the course office.
Accessible and interactive sample papers and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 exam are available here: