The Goethe-Institut Gulf Region offers students who are in the later stages of a degree course or have already graduated the opportunity to do an internship. This will allow them to gain insights into the work of a Goethe-Institut, help plan and implement cultural programmes and play a role in language courses, programme activities or administrative tasks.
Visit our website to find out more about application conditions, the various departments and current vacancies.
Application conditionsYou will need to fulfil the following conditions if you wish to do an internship at the Goethe-Institut Gulf Region:
- Very good German and/or English language skills; a knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage
- Knowledge of the local language is desirable
- A university degree, either begun or completed, in the humanities, business studies, law or IT, leading to a Diplom, Magister, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, German state examination for Secondary School II or a PhD
- You will need to have completed at least three semesters and not be older than 30
Departments and activities
An internship in the language department should last for a maximum of two months.
Interns in the language course department can
- gain insights into the operation of language courses, e.g. by helping with course enrolment and central examinations run by the institute
- help with compiling advertising and course materials
- sit in on classes at different course levels
- help create and run accompanying activities for language course participants
- attend meetings of the language department
- to show a keen interest in theoretical and practical aspects of German as a foreign language
- to be willing to work together with German teachers and course participants
- to be able to work independently
- to be willing to carry out routine tasks
- to have good IT skills
- to be willing to work flexible hours
Within the framework of our programme work, we offer interns
- Insight into the conception and implementation of German-Emirati cultural cooperation
Participation in the organizational preparation and implementation of the cultural program in the various areas of word/literature, exhibitions, film & media, music, dance & theater
- If possible, transfer individual tasks to be completed largely independently
We expect our interns
- Interest in culture and cultural mediation
- Good knowledge of the German cultural scene
- very good knowledge of English
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage
- Confidence in style when dealing with texts
- Confident use of Microsoft Office programs
- Experience in internet research
- Willingness to complete routine tasks
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- Intercultural sensitivity
Please complete the application form in German and add your curriculum vitae and a passport photo. References are not necessary.
Due to the very high demand for internship places, we recommend that you send us your application at least one year before you wish to do your internship.
Remuneration and insurance
- The amount of the flat rate is determined depending on the center of life of the intern at the time of application for the internship. If the center of life is outside the UAE or Oman, the allowance is €300; if the center of life is within the UAE or Oman, €100 is paid per month. In addition, the Goethe-Institut does not cover any costs, but can help you find a room.
- We strongly advise you to take out health insurance before you start your internship.
- With regard to accidents, you are insured with the federal accident insurance fund during your internship. However, this only applies in the institute's premises or at partners' offices at official events and on the direct route there and back. Please also check your accident insurance cover for the duration of your stay abroad.
- Please also note the current security information on the Federal Foreign Office website. Current security information UAE, current security information Oman
Internship confirmation and report
Part of the internship is a short experience report that you will write at the end of your stay. It also serves as the basis for your internship confirmation, which can also include an evaluation if desired.