faq © Colourbox

Here you can find the frequently asked questions regarding visas and residence permit.

Yes, almost all universities, universities of applied sciences and technical colleges are offering study programmes in English.
There are no restrictions for international students in their choice of studies, as long as they fulfill the academic requirements.
Technical universities are more academic and research-oriented, while universities of applied sciences cooperate closely with industry, for example by arranging internships in companies, and studies are more application-oriented. In terms of the value of the degree, technical universities and universities of applied sciences are equivalent. Universities of applied sciences are a special feature of the German higher education system. Many students appreciate that studies at universities of applied sciences are more structured, while universities require students to be more self-organized.
"Restricted admission", often referred to by the Latin term: Numerus clausus, which means: There are regularly more applicants than study places for this program. Therefore, places are allocated according to the grades of the university entrance certificate and/or a certain grade is at least required to qualify for this study program. DSE is acknowledged, the grades are adapted to the German grading system. The specific Numerus Clausus is determined by each University each academic year anew - depending on the number of students applying.
You can either complete another bachelor's degree program in Germany and then add a master's of your choice, or apply directly for a master's degree program. As a foreign student, you may complete max. One bachelor and one master programme in Germany.
Moderate tuition fees may be charged for master's degree programs, which are indicated on the respective university websites. For PhD, the situation is different from Hong Kong: In order to obtain a doctorate, one is not employed by a university, but must either apply to a graduate college or be accepted as an independent doctoral student with his or her research project by a professor who then supervises this research work within the framework of his or her own field for several years. During this time, you participate in doctoral colloquia and regularly report on your work there, but are otherwise independent. You have to take care of the financing yourself: Either you manage to get a doctoral scholarship from one of the numerous foundations and organizations or you work part-time, for example at the university.
Yes, you are allowed to work alongside your studies for up to 120 full working days or 240 half days per year. This must be a regular employment. You may even work more when you have a job as student or graduate assistant. Please note that during stays for language courses as preparation for university studies, you may only work during vacation times.
No tuition fee is charged for bachelor's degree programs at public universities, colleges or academies. There is only an administrative fee, between 100 and 200 euros per semester, which entitles students, among other things, to a low-cost student local transport ticket and to eat at the university canteen. Moderate tuition fees may be charged for master's degree programs, which are indicated on the respective university websites. The cost of living depends on whether you are studying in a large city or a smaller town and which living situation you choose: student dormitory, shared apartment or your own apartment. On average, you should expect to spend 850 - 950 euros per month, all in all.
After graduation - bachelor or master - the residency permit can be extended for another 18 months in order to find a suitable job in Germany.
Visa law differentiates between short term stays of less than 90 days and long term stays of more than 90 days or stays that involve employment. Short term stays are regulated by EU law which means that the visa or, in the case of Hong Kongers, the visa-free travel is applicable for all EU countries. Long term stays (over 90 days) and stays that involve employment are however governed by national law.

This means: If you are planning to stay more than 90 days in one member state, you need to obtain a long term visa by said member state. These can be obtained by the responsible Consulates and Embassies in Germany. If you are planning to stay less than 90 days in another EU member state, you can however do so on your national visa from another member state. You do not need to apply for a visa for short term stays. Exemptions may apply in cases that involve employment.

A has finished their Bachelor studies in Leipzig and wishes to continue their Master’s in Prague.
A stays over 90 days, they will have to apply for a national visa with the Czech Embassy/Consulate 

B is studying in Munich. They wish to do an exchange semester in Barcelona and to return to Munich after that.
B stays over 90 days, they will have to apply for a national visa with the Spanish Embassy/Consulate. They should also contact the responsible foreigners authority in Munich to see whether their residence permit can stay valid despite them leaving for a semester. 

C is studying in Hamburg and wishes to attend an 8-week summer school in Paris.
C stays less than 90 days, they can travel to Paris on their German national visa. 

D is studying in Stuttgart and has obtained a paid 6-week internship in Milan during the semester holidays.
D is staying less than 90 days, but they plan to take up paid work. The national laws on whether a national visa is needed to work during short-terms stays differ between EU-countries. They should therefore consult the Italian Consulate/Embassy.
To work in certain medical professions in Germany, you may need to seek recognition of your qualification first, if it was obtained outside the EU. You can find more on whether you need an official recognition and where to obtain it here: www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/de/interest/finder/profession.

For additional, detailed information on the procedure for recognition of professional qualifications, please refer to the website "Make it in Germany”: www.make-it-in-germany.com
In principle, medical professionals from Hong Kong can also apply for recognition of their titles in Germany.