Advice and information
Do you need certification or a diploma for work, study or a visa? Would you like to know the level of your knowledge of German?
There are numerous internationally recognized proficiency exams available through our institute.
1. Age Recommendations of Exam Participants
The following recommendations are made with respect to the age of the exam participants:
- GOETHE-ZERTIFIKAT A1: FIT IN DEUTSCH 1: 10 years of age and older
- GOETHE-ZERTIFIKAT A2: FIT IN DEUTSCH, GOETHE-ZERTIFIKAT B1 for teenagers and GOETHE-ZERTIFIKAT B2 for teenagers (from 1 Aug. 2019): 12 years of age and older
- GOETHE-ZERTIFIKAT A1, A2, B1, B2, C1: 16 years of age and older
2. Exam Enrolment and Payment Condition
2.1 Application and enrolment for an exam is only possible in person at Goethe-Institut Hongkong during the respective enrolment period for a specific exam.
2.2 A seat for an exam is only secured when payment is made in full.
2.3 The different fees shown on the website of Goethe-Institut Hongkong (including discounted fees for internal exam participants) which are valid at the time of enrolment constitute part of the contract.
3. Withdrawal From the Examination and Change of Examination Date
3.1 It is possible to withdraw from the exam. However, participants have no right to a refund of any exam fees already paid and the exam fee cannot be transferred to a future exam. Upon withdrawal, Goethe-Institut Hongkong needs to be informed immediately by email (email@example.com). If the withdrawal takes place before the start of the exam, the exam will be considered not taken. If the exam is discontinued after it has already started, the exam will be considered to have been failed.
3.2 Refunds are only possible if an exam is cancelled by Goethe-Institut Hongkong or in case of proven illness of the exam participant. If an exam is not started or is discontinued after it was started due to illness, proof must be provided to this effect by submitting a written doctor’s note to Goethe-Institut Hongkong within five working days. In this case, a full refund of the fees paid will be granted.
3.3 After the enrolment into a specific exam date and time slot, it is not possible to change to another date and time slot.
4. On the Day of the Examination
4.1 On the day of the examination, exam participants need to bring along their written exam ticket/invitation and present a form of picture identification issued by an official agency (e. g. their (HK) ID card or their passport). Copies or scans of ID cards are not allowed. Exam participants not able to provide an official picture ID or only copies or scans thereof will be excluded from the exam. In these cases, no exam fee refund will be given.
4.2 Late-comers will not be admitted to an exam that has already started. Late-comers can neither get a refund of the exam fee nor have the right to participate in the exam on a later time or date.
5. Picking up Examination Certificates
5.1 The official examination certificate can only be picked up by the exam participants themselves.
5.2 If a person other than the exam participant wants to pick up an examination certificate, this person needs to present a) a copy of the exam participant’s (HK) ID card or passport and b) a statement written and signed by the exam participant permitting that specific person to pick up the certificate on the exam participant’s behalf.
5.3 If a person wants to have their exam certificates mailed to them by post, they need to inform Goethe-Institut Hongkong at the time of enrolment and fill out the mailing form provided.
5.4 No scans, copies, or digital versions of exam certificates will be provided by Goethe-Institut Hongkong at any point.
6. Replacement of Official Exam Certificates
If the exam certificate is lost within ten years after the exam date, a replacement document listing the attained points on the exam can be issued by Goethe-Institut Hongkong. A fee (HKD 100) will be charged for the issuing of this replacement document.
7. Liability of the Goethe-lnstitut Hongkong & Typhoon
7.1 The liability of the Goethe-Institut Hongkong is limited to intent and gross negligence. Goethe-Institut is not liable for failure to provide services because of acts of God (e.g. natural catastrophes, fire, flooding, war, government orders and any other circumstances which are beyond the control of the contracting parties).
7.2 In case of a typhoon signal no. 8 or higher, the exam(s) will be cancelled. For these cancelled exams or parts of the exams, Goethe-Institut Hongkong will provide a substitute exam date within two weeks after the cancelled exams. Exam fees already paid will be transferred to the substitute exam date.
If you would like to take part in the examinations in other time slots, please check the examination arrangements of Goethe Language Centres in other Chinese cities.
- Please come to our reception during the above-mentioned registration period and pay the exam fee by cash or with your bank card (EPS). You may also enroll online and pay with your credit card.
- On the first day of registration for exams (both for internal and external students), the exam enrolment will start at 11 am.
- Kindly note when enrolling online with your credit card: As of March 15, 2021, this is an international transaction for which your bank may charge fees. The Goethe-Institut cannot refund any processing fees charged by your credit card provider.
- The exam location is Goethe-Institut Hongkong, 13th and 14th floor of Hong Kong Arts Centre, 2 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.
- Please bring along your passport and your ID card to the examination.
- According to official regulations, kindly be prepared to present your vaccination record before the examination.