Dr. Alice Boner (1889-1981) settled in Varanasi, India and came to be known as one of the outstanding scholars and interpreters of Indian sculpture and temple architecture. Her research led her not only to the significant discovery of the principles of composition in Indian sculpture, but also to a search for the meaning of its content. For her pioneering research on Indian art, Alice Boner was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by the University of Zürich in 1969 and the Padma Bhushan by the President of India in 1974.
With our network of Goethe-Instituts, Goethe Centres, cultural societies, reading rooms and exam and language learning centres, we have been the first point of contact for many with Germany for almost seventy years. Our long-lasting partnerships with leading institutions and individuals in over ninety countries create enduring trust in Germany. We are partners for all who actively engage with Germany and its culture, working independently and without political ties.
Facilities at ABIThe resident artist will have one floor in the small villa at her/his disposal. The accommodation comprises a bedroom and study with an attached shower and toilet. The rooms are equipped with ceiling fans and air conditioners, shelves for books/clothes, and Wi-Fi. The consumption of alcohol on the premises is not allowed. The language of communication is English and Hindi. Other residents are accommodated on two other floors.
The ground floor also includes the Director’s office and rooms for institute employees (manager, security guards, cook, etc.).
The interior of the Institute can also host intimate exhibitions, while a modest venue on the terrace can be used for short performances and screenings.
Please note: The building is an old construction, therefore the house is not suitable for children or disabled persons (very steep steps). Residents with a history of dust/lung allergies, or asthma should take necessary precautions as air pollution levels are severe.
The format of the presentation is entirely up to you in discussion with the Alice Boner Institute. It can be an artist talk, presentation, performance, etc. The Alice Boner Institute will help you with the organizational task.
1 September – 31 October 2022
1 November – 31 December 2022
- Travel cost: return tickets and travel to Varanasi (economy class)
- Health insurance
- Daily allowance of 26 EUR for the duration of the residency, payable in Rupees on arrival
- The cost of materials will be covered on a case-by-case basis and will be up to a maximum of 500 EUR per resident
- Independent and institutional art managers working with artist-run spaces as well as visual, performing, media, and cross cultural art
- Independent and institutional art curators
- Art researchers
- Other professionals in the sphere of art
- Works in the sphere of culture.
- Has an idea for a project in fields including, but not limited to, visual arts, literature, performing arts, design, cultural heritage, urbanism, and cultural theory.
- Is 18 or above.
- Is a German national or has been based in Germany for the last three years.
- Is fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Is familiar with India and its general overview
- Please provide the following documents: Application form
- CV in PDF format (two pages maximum)
- Portfolio (10 pages maximum)
- Supporting letter from a university, professional or institution in the field of culture
- Copy of the first page of your passport
- Proof of full COVID-vaccination
If it is compliant a jury, constituted by Alice Boner Institute, Goethe-Institut and an independent juror, will choose two residents in total.
- Professional relevance
- Your application will go through an assessment by the jury. This process will take 4-5 weeks.
- You will receive the results of the assessment via email.
- If your application is successful, we will conclude a participation agreement.
- Between September and December, you will spend two months in Varanasi
- Application Deadline: 1 June 2022
- Application Evaluation: 30 June 2022
- Announcement of Results: 1 July 2022
- Residency: September - December 2022