Ideal if you'd like to ...
- attend a preparatory course (Studienkolleg) to qualify for admission to university in Germany,
- live and work in Germany,
- prove that you have successfully reached level B1,
- be issued an official and internationally recognized certificate.
The Goethe-Zertifikat B1 is a German exam for young people and adults. It certifies that candidates are independent users of the German language and corresponds to the third level (B1) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- understand the main points of information in conversations and texts on familiar matters relating to work, school and leisure time, etc. when clear, standard language is used,
- deal with most situations typically encountered when travelling in German-speaking countries,
- express yourself simply and coherently when talking about familiar topics and areas of personal interest,
- report on experiences and events, describe dreams, hopes and ambitions as well as make short statements and explanations.
Accessible and interactive sample exams and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat B1 exam are available here: