Ideal if you'd like to ...
- prepare to study at a university or institution of higher education in Germany,
- demonstrate a very advanced knowledge of German for employment purposes,
- prepare to work in the medical sector,
- prove that you have successfully reached level C1,
- be issued an official and internationally recognized certificate.
The Goethe-Zertifikat C1 is a German exam for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired very advanced language skills and corresponds to the fifth level (C1) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
You can take the new modular Goethe-Zertifikat C1 from 1 January 2024. You can find materials and information on the exam under "Practice materials" and "Further information".
The new modular Goethe-Zertifikat C1 will replace the current exam in 2024 worldwide. Please take this into account when planning your exam date.
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- understand a wide range of challenging, longer texts as well as grasp implicit meanings,
- express yourself spontaneously and fluently without frequently having to search for words,
- use the language effectively and flexibly in your social and professional life or during training or your studies,
- make clear, structured and detailed statements on complex topics.
Please contact your university, institution of higher education or preparatory course provider before your course of study is due to begin to find out if the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 is able to grant you exemption from taking a language entrance test for foreign students.
Accessible and interactive sample exams and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 exam are available here: