Ideal if you'd like to ...
- study or conduct research in Germany
- teach at a school in Germany
- prove that you have successfully reached level C2
- be issued with an official and internationally recognized certificate
The Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS) is a German exam for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired extremely advanced language skills and corresponds to the sixth level (C2) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
The cheaper price displayed applies if you have already participated in a German language course at the Goethe Institute in the past six months. The six months refer to the period between when the language course ended and the date of the German language exam. In this case, the price will change automatically during the booking procedure. If not, please contact the course office.
*) course/ exam exempt from VAT pursuant to sec 4, no. 21(a)(bb) of the German Turnover Tax Act (UStG)
**) The cheaper price displayed applies if you have already participated in a German language course at the Goethe Institute in the past six months. The six months refer to the period between when the language course ended and the date of the German language exam. In this case, the price will change automatically during the booking procedure. If not, please contact the course office.
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- effortlessly understand virtually everything that you read or hear in German,
- summarize information from various written and spoken sources, logically recounting reasons and explanations,
- express yourself spontaneously with a high level of fluency and precision and make finer nuances of meaning clear when discussing more complex topics.
The Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom entitles foreign students to study at a German university or institution of higher education and is recognized in many places as evidence of the language skills required to teach German.
The exam is recognized as official evidence of the language competence needed to teach throughout Germany. Further information on this is available from accredited institutions in each of Germany’s states, such as the Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs, the Office for Teacher Training, the District Council or the Senate Committee.
January 2012, the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam replaced the three previously existing exams, namely the Goethe-Zertifikat: Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP), the Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom (KDS) and the Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS).
Note for exam candidates
Available spaces for external candidates may be booked out several weeks before the registration deadline. External candidates should therefore register early.
Course participants are defined as
- Persons currently taking part in courses at a Goethe-Institut in Germany.
- Former course participants of the Goethe-Instituts in Germany or worldwide who attended a course within the past six months (based on the examination date).
Accessible and interactive sample papers and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom exam are available here: