Ideal if you'd like to ...
- apply for a position as an au pair in Germany
- obtain evidence of the language skills required to be granted a visa to join your husband or wife in Germany
- prove that you have successfully reached level A1
- be issued with an official and internationally recognized certificate
The Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 is a German exam for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired very basic language skills and corresponds to the first level (A1) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- communicate in a simple manner if the person you are speaking to talks slowly and clearly,
- understand and use familiar, everyday and common expressions and simple sentences (e.g. information about yourself and your family or about shopping, work and your immediate surroundings),
- introduce yourself and others, as well as ask others about themselves, e.g. where they live, who they know and what they own.
Note for exam candidates
Please note that certificates are issued on the day of the examination. If you do not wish to pick up the certificate in person, it will be mailed to you.
Course participants are defined as
- Persons currently taking part in courses at a Goethe-Institut in Germany.
- Former course participants of the Goethe-Instituts in Germany or worldwide who attended a course within the past six months (based on the examination date).
Accessible and interactive sample papers and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat A1: Start Deutsch 1 exam are available here: