Ideal if you'd like to ...
- prepare to study at a university or institution of higher education in Germany,
- demonstrate a very advanced knowledge of German for employment purposes,
- prepare to work in the medical sector,
- prove that you have successfully reached level C1,
- be issued an official and internationally recognized certificate.
The Goethe-Zertifikat C1 is a German exam for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired very advanced language skills and corresponds to the fifth level (C1) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- understand a wide range of challenging, longer texts as well as grasp implicit meanings,
- express yourself spontaneously and fluently without frequently having to search for words,
- use the language effectively and flexibly in your social and professional life or during training or your studies,
- make clear, structured and detailed statements on complex topics.
Please contact your university, institution of higher education or preparatory course provider before your course of study is due to begin to find out if the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 is able to grant you exemption from taking a language entrance test for foreign students.
*) The cheaper price displayed applies if you have already participated in a German language course at the Goethe Institute in the past six months. The six months refer to the period between when the language course ended and the date of the German language exam. In this case, the price will change automatically during the booking procedure. If not, please contact the course office.
COVID-19 Update: We strongly encourage only those participants who require certification for work/study/travel to register for an exam in order to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.
Anyone coming into Washington, DC from a high-risk state (within the prior 14 days) who was traveling for non-essential activities will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days from their arrival in the District. Individuals traveling from high-risk states after essential travel or arriving in the District for essential travel are required to self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days and, if they show signs or experience symptoms of COVID-19, they are to self-quarantine and seek medical advice or testing. For a list of high-risk states, please click here. This list is updated approximately every two weeks.
If none of the exam dates above are convenient, most of our exams may be booked as individual exams for an additional fee. Please contact us
for further information.
Exam results are made available approximately 10 business days after the exam date.
Accessible and interactive sample exams and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 exam are available here: