Jemand arbeitet an einer Werkbank. Man sieht ein Lineal, einen Messschieber und Klebeband. © Goethe-Institut

Degree and certificate

You can normally find a good job in Germany if you have a degree or vocational training. You need to have completed your vocational training. And you need a certificate. Do you have certificates from your native country? Have them translated and authenticated.

In einer Küche eines Restaurants arbeiten verschiedene Menschen. © Goethe-Institut

Vocational training – the process

You need a minimum of a leaving certificate from the Hauptschule to qualify for vocational training. Without this certificate it is very difficult to secure a vocational training place. In Germany there is a dual system for most professions in which vocational training is offered. You learn the profession through practical experience in a company. And you go to a business school. Here you learn the theoretical principles for that profession. And you also have a few general subjects such as German, politics or sports. 

You do the practical training in the company. You work for 3 or 4 days a week in the company and attend the business school for 8 to 12 hours a week. Or you spend a few weeks in the company and a few weeks at the business school. You can do vocational training in many companies, and almost all professional areas. Finding a place on a vocational training course is just like finding a job. You also have to write an application (see: „Finding work“). You are paid some money during your vocational training in a company.

Vocational training - duration

Vocational training usually lasts 2 or 3 years. But training is also available in professions you can learn more quickly, for instance childcare, caring for the elderly, catering or cosmetics. Find out from the employment agency in your town or city.

Auf dem Bild ist eine Bibliothek mit Tischen, an denen man sitzen und arbeiten kann, zu sehen. © Goethe-Institut


If you have the Abitur qualification you can study at a university. If you have the Fachabitur you can go to a technical college (Fachhochschule; FH). A degree at a technical college is usually more practically-orientated than at a normal university. Students in higher education in Germany (uni and FH) must have a very good command of German. If German is not your native language, you need evidence of your proficiency in German. You usually need the “Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang” (German Language Examination for University Admission; DSH) or TestDaF (Language Examination for German as a Foreign Language). 

In some federal states you have to pay to do a degree course, in others not. Information on this is available from The tuition fees vary. You pay between 150 € and 700 € per semester (6 months). For a Bachelor’s degree you need 6 to 8 semesters. After a further 2 to 4 semesters you can do a Master’s degree. 

Every town/city has a careers advice centre (BIZ). You can find the BIZ through the employment agency in your town. The staff here can advise you on the subjects of vocational training, degree courses and further/higher education.

Video International Sign

Frequently asked questions

Further questions? Write us via the contact form. We will forward your questions anonymously to the advisors of the youth migration services.

Contact form