Prior to registering for the eLibrary, please check that your PC or Mac meets the minimum technical requirements for use. We highly recommend a broadband Internet connection (DSL, cable) for media downloads.
The following formats are currently used in the eLibrary:for eBooks: PDF-format and/or ePub-format
- for eAudio: WMA-format
- for eVideo: WMV-format
- for ePaper: PDF-format
The minimal requirements for Windows systems are:
- Operating system: Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / 7
- Windows Media Player 11 or higher
- Adobe Reader X or higher
- Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.2 (free Adobe ID required for authentification)
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher
- Firefox 3.6.0 or higher
The minimal requirements for Mac systems (for eBook use only) are:
- Mac OS 10.2.8 - 10.4.2 + Adobe Reader 7.1.0
- Mac OS 10.4.3 - 10.5.3 + Adobe Reader 8.x (9)
Please note that only eBooks in the ePub format are currently available on Apple products. In order to open ePubs on an iPad or iPhone you can download the free Overdrive Media Console or Bluefire apps and sign in with your free Adobe ID. ePapers are currently not available for download onto Apple products. eAudio, eMusic and eVideo also not available, even if Windows Mediaplayer for Mac has been installed.
The minimal requirements for Linux systems for eBook use are:
- SuSe Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 + Adobe Reader 7.0.9 - 8.x
- Slackware Linux 10 + Adobe Reader 7.0.9 - 8.x
- Debian 4.0 Etch + Adobe Reader 7.0.9 - 8.x
- Ubuntu (ab Version 8.10)
The Adobe PDF Reader is required in all cases. Other PDF readers, such as kpdf, unfortunately do not work. Adobe Reader 8.1.1 is recommended for Linux.
We appreciate your understanding that while we currently are able to make our new range of titles available to many customers, for technical reasons, we are as yet unable to do so for all of them.
Please make sure that your eBook reader is compatible.