Ideal if you'd like to ...
- attend a preparatory course (Studienkolleg) to qualify for admission to university in Germany
- live and work in Germany
- prove that you have successfully reached level B1
- be issued with an official and internationally recognized certificate
The Goethe-Zertifikat B1 is a German exam for young people and adults. It certifies that candidates are independent users of the German language and corresponds to the third level (B1) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
*) The cheaper price displayed applies if you have already participated in a German language course at the Goethe Institute in the past six months. The six months refer to the period between when the language course ended and the date of the German language exam. In this case, the price will change automatically during the booking procedure. If not, please contact the course office.
From March 15, 2021, this is an international transaction for which your bank may charge fees. The Goethe-Institut cannot refund any processing fees charged by your credit card provider.
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- understand the main points of information in conversations and texts on familiar matters relating to work, school and leisure time, etc. when clear, standard language is used,
- deal with most situations typically encountered when travelling in German-speaking countries,
- express yourself simply and coherently when talking about familiar topics and areas of personal interest,
- report on experiences and events, describe dreams, hopes and ambitions as well as make short statements and explanations.
Accessible and interactive sample papers and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat B1 exam are available here:
Goethe-Zertifikat B1 Digital
Das Goethe-Institut Hongkong bietet das Goethe-Zertifikat B1 auch digital an.