Ideal if you'd like to ...
- prepare to study at a university or institution of higher education in Germany
- demonstrate a very advanced knowledge of German for employment purposes
- prepare to work in the medical sector
- prove that you have successfully reached level C1
- be issued with an official and internationally recognized certificate
Goethe-Zertifikat C1 is an examination for adults. It certifies that candidates have acquired advanced language skills and corresponds to the fifth level (C1) on the six-level scale of competence laid down in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
*) The cheaper price displayed applies if you have already participated in a German language course at the Goethe Institute in the past six months. The six months refer to the period between when the language course ended and the date of the German language exam. In this case, the price will change automatically during the booking procedure. If not, please contact the course office.
From March 15, 2021, this is an international transaction for which your bank may charge fees. The Goethe-Institut cannot refund any processing fees charged by your credit card provider.
Passing the exam demonstrates that you can ...
- understand a wide range of challenging, longer texts as well as grasp implicit meanings,
- express yourself spontaneously and fluently without frequently having to search for words,
- use the language effectively and flexibly in your social and professional life or during training or your studies,
- make clear, structured and detailed statements on complex topics.
Please contact your university, institution of higher education or preparatory course provider before your course of study is due to begin to find out if the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 is able to grant you exemption from taking a language entrance test for foreign students.
Accessible and interactive sample papers and practice exercises to help you prepare online are available here.
The requirements, contents of the exam and further information on the Goethe-Zertifikat C1 exam are available here: