Our library is a public lending library. Onsite library use and reference service is free for everyone; however a membership is required to sign out material. To obtain a library membership, we would ask you to fill out an application form and to show valid Canadian identification.
To borrow books and other materials, you to sign up for a library membership. To obtain one, simply fill out the online registration form. At your next visit to the library, you will need to pay the registration fee and present proof of address and valid photo identification.
|Yearly membership fees:
|for students and seniors
|for students of the Goethe-Institut language courses
|Onleihe (digital library) membership
- DVDs, magazines: 2 weeks
- Other media: 4 weeks
- Contemporary literature in both German and English translation
- Books on our key topics: visual & media arts, architecture, city planning, design, and film
- Materials for learning German, easy readers
- More than 700 DVDs of German films and documentaries with English subtitles
- German magazines like Cicero, Monopol, Der Spiegel and NEON as well as the weekly paper Die Zeit
- Music CDs and audiobooks
Borrowed materials may be renewed once in person or by email or phone, if they have not been reserved by another patron.
All renewals are at the discretion of the librarian.
If you are living outside the Greater Toronto Area you can lend our books and media by mail across Canada. Please contact our librarian for the details.
In addition, the Goethe-Institut offers an archive with German films on DVDs which can be borrowed for non commercial screenings by cultural and educational institutions in Canada like schools and universities.