Terms and Conditions of Enrollment
1. General Requirements
- Course participants must be at least 18 years of age.
2. Participation / Enrollment conﬁrmation
- 2.1. After enrolling in the course, the participant is sent conﬁrmation (referred to below as “enrollment conﬁrmation”) by Goethe-Institut e. V. (“GI”) of enrollment in the selected course, the accommodation booking and the meal arrangements (referred to as “the course”). With receipt of the enrollment conﬁrmation by the participant, the contract takes effect.
- 2.2. An invoice is forwarded with the enrollment conﬁrmation, informing the participant of the payable course fees, which include all services speciﬁed in 2.1. above (instruction, accommodation, meals), indicating the payment deadline and the participant number.
- 2.3. In principle, consumers have a right to cancel. More information on the right to cancel is provided in the notice on the right to cancel at the end of the Terms and Conditions.
3. Prices and terms of payment
- 3.1. The price list for courses, accommodation and meals in effect at the time of enrollment is an integral part of the contract. Please refer to
- 3.2. The course fee is payable in full to the GI at the payment deadline shown in the invoice. The payment date is deﬁned as the date at which the payment is credited to the GI account speciﬁed in the enrollment conﬁrmation. The money transfer must indicate the course participant number.
- 3.3. All bank charges related to the payment of the course fee shall be borne by the course participant.
- 3.4. If the GI does not receive full payment of the course fees by the due date, the participant will no longer be entitled to the services booked. In this case the GI is entitled to make the services available to other interested parties.
- 3.5. In case of non-attendance at the booked course, delayed arrival, early departure or withdrawal from a course, or any other absences (e.g. due to illness), there is no claim to reimbursement of the course fees.
4. Changes to course bookings
- In exceptional cases participants may change the services booked (e.g. the course date) in consultation with the GI. The ﬁrst change is free of charge. A fee of €60 is payable for each additional booking change.
- 5.1. The course participant can cancel the course booking subject to the following conditions.
- In case of cancellation no later than four weeks prior to the start of the course, the GI will withhold an administrative fee of €160.
- In case of cancellation no later than one week prior to the start of the course, GI will withhold an amount equal to 30% of the course fee, but not less than the administrative fee of €160.
- In case of cancellation no later than one day prior to the start of the course, GI will withhold an amount equal to 50% of the course fee, but not less than the administrative fee of €160.
- In case of withdrawal after the start of the course, GI will withhold 100% of the course fee.
- 5.2. The course participant can cancel accommodation arrangements free of charge up to four (4) weeks before the start of the course. Cancellation at a later date is not possible.
- 5.3. The cancellation must be submitted in writing (or by e-mail) to GI using the contact addresses indicated in the enrollment conﬁrmation. The cancellation date is deﬁned as the date of receipt of the cancellation declaration at the contact address speciﬁed in the enrollment conﬁrmation.
6. Course level assignment / class size
- 6.1. The assignment to a course level is made on the basis of a placement test carried out at the course location.
- 6.2. In all courses, the maximum class size is 16.
- 7.1. On request, the GI offers accommodation for rent. Any request for the booking of accommodation must be indicated when enrolling. Prior inspection of the accommodation is not possible.
- 7.2. The accommodation is rented only on a course by course basis. The date for moving into the accommodation is the published arrival date, and the date for moving out is the published departure date.
- 7.3. The course participant is responsible for exercising due care in the accommodation and keeping it clean during the rental period. At the end of the rental period, the accommodation must be left in a clean and tidy state.
- 7.4. If the accommodation is in a guesthouse, a proper handover must take place at the beginning and end of the rental period between the course participant and a person authorized by the GI (inspection of the state of the rooms, inventory of equipment and other items, etc.).
- 7.5. Guests of the course participant are permitted to stay overnight only with the express permission of the GI.
- 7.6. Any violation of the landlord’s house rules will result in termination of the rental agreement without notice with no claim to replacement accommodation or reimbursement of rent paid.
- 7.7. If the accommodation is recommended by the GI, e.g. through a link on the GI website, then GI does not act as the landlord of the accommodation.
8. Responsibilities of participants
- 8.1. It is the responsibility of the course participant to ensure at his/her own expense that his/her stay in Germany is in compliance with the law and that he/she is in possession of any required entry permit, residence permit or visa.
- 8.2. It is the sole responsibility of the course participant to take out health insurance and accident, liability and personal property insurance. GI assumes no liability in this area.
- 8.3. Participants are obliged to comply with the course rules and house rules applicable to the Goethe-Instituts.
9. Liability of the GI
- 9.1. GI is subject to liability – regardless of the legal cause – only in case of gross negligence or intent.
- 9.2. GI is also liable in case of ordinary negligence in case of damage resulting in death, injury or harm to health as well as damages for the culpable violation of a material contractual violation.
- 9.3. Any other contractual or tort claims of the course participant are explicitly precluded.
10. Force majeure
- Neither GI nor its employees are liable for non-performance of contractual obligations or damages to the extent that they are caused by force majeure, in particular ﬁre, water, storm or other natural events, explosion, strike, war, civil unrest or other reasons outside the sphere of responsibility/inﬂuence of the Goethe-Institut.
11. Privacy protection
- GI collects, processes and uses the personal data of the course participant both for the purpose of fulﬁlling the contract signed with the course participant and as permitted by law and under the terms of any signed declaration of consent in compliance with privacy protection laws. For further details see the separate privacy declaration to which we hereby explicitly refer.
12. Applicable law
- These terms and conditions and all legal relations between the GI and the course participant are subject to the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany. The place of jurisdiction is Munich, Germany.
13. Severance clause
- Should sections or individual formulations in these terms and conditions prove invalid or ineffective, this shall have no effect on the remaining sections and their validity. The ineffective provision shall be replaced by the legally admissible provision that most closely approximates the content and economic effect of the ineffective provision.
A. Notice of right to cancelRight to cancel
You have the right to cancel this contract within 14 days without giving reasons. The cancellation period is 14 days from the date on which you enter into the contract.
To exercise your right to cancel, you must send a clear declaration to us at:
Goethe-Institute in Deutschland
Bereich Marketing und Vertrieb
Tel.: +49 89 15921-0
Fax: +49 89 15921-20
(e.g. a letter, fax or e-mail) indicating your decision to cancel this contract. The attached Sample cancellation form (PDF, 95 KB) may be used to notify us of your decision to cancel, but it is not required.
To comply with the cancellation period, it is sufficient for you to send your notice of cancellation to us before the cancellation period expires.
Consequences of cancellation
If you cancel this contract, we are required to reimburse all payments that we have received to you, including delivery costs (with the exception of additional costs resulting from your selection of a delivery option other than the cheapest standard delivery option offered by us) without delay and no later than 14 days from the date on which we receive notification of your cancellation of this contract. For the reimbursement we use the same means of payment as in the original transaction unless we have expressly agreed to other arrangements with you. You will not be charged fees for this reimbursement under any circumstances.
If the delivery of services begins at your request during the cancellation period, you are required to pay us an appropriate amount corresponding to the portion of the services provided during the cancellation period as a percentage of the total contractually agreed services.
End of notice of right to cancel
Exclusion or early expiry of the right of cancellation:
The right to cancel will expire at an earlier date if we have provided the entire contractually agreed services and only began to provide services after you gave your express consent for services to begin and acknowledged that you would lose your right to cancel following complete performance of the contract by us.
B. Cancellation formIf you wish to cancel the contract, please complete this form and return it to us.
Goethe-Institute in Deutschland
Bereich Marketing und Vertrieb
Fax: +49 89 15921 202
I/we (*) hereby cancel the contract entered into by me/us (*) on the purchase of the following goods (*)/ the performance of the following service (*)
Ordered on (*) _________ / received on (*) _________
Name of consumer(s)
Address of consumer(s)
Signature of consumer(s) (only in case of notification on paper)
(*) Please delete non-applicable options