Become a Goethe-Institut examination center
Goethe-Institut examination centers are for the most part language schools or college/university language departments offering German language courses. Is your institution interested in becoming an accredited Goethe-Institut examination center?
- German language courses and certified examinations are the perfect match: Examinations clearly define the proficiency level your students want to achieve and give direction to curricula while providing additional incentive for language learning.
- Knowing the next steps and how to prepare (e.g. customized exam preparation courses) helps students navigate the learning process and boosts student satisfaction.
- Examiners tend to be the better teachers: they know from experience which subjects give students the most trouble, what mistakes to avoid, and which strategies lead to success on the test.
- Examiners also benefit from the rigorous training programs offered by the Goethe-Institut and their impact on overall teaching performance.
- The close cooperation between the Goethe-Institut and its examination centers includes regular feedback on the examination center’s performance, which improves overall language program results.
- Examination centers join an extensive network of peer German language institutions in the US, where cooperation and communication extends far beyond just the examinations.
- Examination centers benefit from the Goethe-Institut’s established image as the worldwide leader in German language teaching and testing, a marketing advantage epitomized by the Goethe-Institut examination center logo designed to visualize this close and exclusive partnership.
- College/university language departments boost their international profile by integrating a globally recognized certification program
In order to maintain its leading position in German examinations worldwide and to secure the value of its internationally recognized certificates, it is crucial for the Goethe-Institut to make sure that the testing process is conducted in a proper and standardized manner by all examination centers. Thorough qualification programs for examiners and the regular monitoring of examination center standards form the foundation of the Goethe-Institutes examination center system.
Accordingly, Goethe-Institut examination centers offer Goethe-Institut examinations
- on a regular basis, at least twice a year, for most or all proficiency levels (CEFR levels A1 — C2), both in their adult or teenager formats — the Fit A1/A2 youth examinations, if possible, in cooperation with local school partners;
- not only (in the case of college/university language departments) to enrolled students, but explicitly to external customers as well;
- for a fee in accordance with the current, US-wide price list of the Goethe-Institut (see below, optional discounts for enrolled students), a portion of which is to be paid as commission to the responsible Goethe-Institut branch office;
- according to an annual examination schedule accessible online on your and our website (and sent to the responsible Goethe-Institut branch office in advance to ensure testing materials are supplied in a timely manner);
- with proof of correct conduct by sending examination reports and an annual report to the responsible Goethe-Institut branch office;
- conducted exclusively by Goethe-Institut authorized examiners whose qualifications consist of both continuing professional training courses (webinars) and an online certification process for language examiners, all of which are offered free of charge by the Goethe-Institut.
IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, ND, NE, OH, OK, SD, WI
Katja Fullard firstname.lastname@example.org
+1 312 263 0474
Goethe-Institut New York
CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT
Andrea Pfeil email@example.com
+1 212 439 8700
Goethe-Institut San Francisco
AZ, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV,. OR, UT, WA, WY
Julia Koch Julia.firstname.lastname@example.org
+1 415 263 8760
AL, AR, DC, DE, FL, GA, LA, MD, MS, NC, NM, PR, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV
Christoph Veldhues email@example.com
+1 202 847 4700
If, after mutual consideration, both parties accept a written accreditation agreement defining the mutual responsibilities of the examination partners, the new examination center will receive the partnership logo and will be listed on the Goethe-Institut website as part of its German language network.
Based on the annual examination schedule, the new examination center will then receive respective testing materials on the appropriate dates, conduct examinations (two certified examiners per examination), return the examination documents plus the examination report to the responsible Goethe-Institut branch office, receive the certificates and forward them to the examinees, receive an invoice for the commission, and be billed the commission (see the current price list – fees and commissions – at our website.
The responsible Goethe-Institut branch office will receive the examination center’s annual examination schedule (end of previous year) and annual report (end of year), and monitor the examiners’ qualification incl. invitations to professional training courses and registration for the online certification process for language examiners.
|External fee||Internal fee||Individual fee*|
|Fit in Deutsch A1 (Jugendliche)||USD 60||USD 50||n/a|
|Fit in Deutsch A2 (Jugendliche)||USD 60||USD 50||n/a|
|Goethe-Zertifikat B1 / ZdJ (Jugendliche)||USD 70||USD 60||n/a|
|Goethe-Zertifikat Start Deutsch A1||USD 120||USD 100||USD 240|
|Goethe-Zertifikat Start Deutsch A2||USD 130||USD 110||USD 250|
|Goethe-Zertifikat B1 / ZD neu||USD 150
(single modul USD 60)
(single modul USD 50)
(single modul USD 120)
|Goethe-Zertifikat B2||USD 170||USD 150||USD 320|
|Goethe-Zertifikat C1||USD 200||USD 180||USD 350|
|Goethe-Zertifikat C2||USD 270
(single modul USD 120)
(single modul USD 100)
(single modul USD 180)
*(in addition to the external fee)
Commission to the responsible Goethe-Institut branch office
|Fit in Deutsch A1 (Jugendliche)||USD 40||USD 30|
|Fit in Deutsch A2 (Jugendliche)||USD 40||USD 30|
|Goethe-Zertifikat B1 / ZdJ (Jugendliche)||USD 40||USD 30|
|Goethe-Zertifikat Start Deutsch A1||USD 70||USD 50|
|Goethe-Zertifikat Start Deutsch A2||USD 75||USD 50|
|Goethe-Zertifikat B1 / ZD neu||USD 100
(single modul USD 35)
(single modul USD 25)
|Goethe-Zertifikat B2||USD 110||USD 80|
|Goethe-Zertifikat C1||USD 150||USD 100|
|Goethe-Zertifikat C2||USD 220
(single modul USD 70)
(single modul USD 50)
*applies to exam centers with 75+ examinees in the previous year