International Forum at the Theatertreffen
The International Forum at the Berliner Festspiele’s Theatertreffen promotes theatrical artists from all over the world. As a field for creative experimentation, a transdisciplinary laboratory and a self-reflective element of the Theatertreffen it endeavours to open hybrid spaces in which the boundaries between performing arts and visual arts, media arts and science become fluid.
Conditions of Funding
- several years of independent professional experience
- participation for the full duration of the Theatertreffen (10 to 28 May 2023)
- a good knowledge of the English language (even if not fluent) – common working language will be English
- an artistic curriculum vitae, reviews, links (to visual, sound and text media)
- a portrait photo (minimum size: 300 dpi at approx. 500 KB)
- two contacts of professionals who can provide us with references of your artistic work
- where necessary a confirmation of release from the employing theatre or institution for the entire period of the International Forum (this only applies to artists in permanent employment)
- Letter of recommendation from the local Goethe-Institut or Goethe-Zentrum (full list of Goethe-Institutes)
- a letter of motivation with written answers to the following questions (max. two A4-pages):
Please find information about the application formalities when applying from Germany, Austria or Switzerland in the Open Call of the Theatertreffen.
Next application deadline
Announcement of the selected fellows: late February 2023
The Theatertreffen will take place between 10 and 28 May 2023. The International Forum will begin on Wednesday, 10 May 2023 and end on Sunday, 28 May 2023 (day of departure: Monday, 29 May 2023).
- attending performances and other formats of the 2023 Theatertreffen
- an exclusive programme of performing arts practice consisting of workshops held by experienced artists, researchers and experts
- presentations given by the fellows and task groups working on a range of different issues of content and aesthetics
- a programme of performing arts theory consisting of an exchange of ideas with international theatre makers and external experts within the context of discursive events organised by Theatertreffen (presentations, reflection rounds, artist talks)
- excursions exploring Berlin’s cultural scene, with opportunities to visit museums and other venues and see performances at various theatres in Berlin networking programmes which will promote international connections, both between the artists and with cultural institutions (Work Café, Open Spaces, Goethe-Institut)