Join a 2-day workshop with German dancer and choreographer Isabelle Schad!
is a German dancer and choreographer. Her research focuses on the body and its materiality, the relationship between bodies, choreography, and (re)presentation, community building as well as political involvement. Her projects work at the interface of dance, performance, and visual arts and are presented on international festivals like Tanz im August in Berlin, International Arts Festival Beijing, Impulstanzfestival in Wien and many others. With her solo piece “Der Bau/The Burrow”, Schad has been invited by the Goethe-Institut in Indonesia to perform at Komunitas Salihara on September 29-30, 2017.
About the workshop
The workshop deals with principles of movement and energy that are based on various Asian techniques such as aikido, sword and stick training, shiatsu, stretching and breathing techniques (meridian stretching, qi gong, qi concepts) as well as somatic practices such as body-mind centering, and that are adapted to the individual needs of the participants.
The objective for the participants is to find a fluid and holistic way of accessing their own body, the body-mind entity – your self – with a view to strengthening their personality and achieving the ability to express themselves fully in movement and presence. This mindfulness and ability to access yourself is the key to accessing your partner, your group and the world.
The experiences from these warm-up exercises and techniques are subsequently interwoven with Schad’s choreographic practice: workshop participants will be developing sketches and elements that will form part of Schad’s research for a new kind of group work, or will be used in their own right. In this context, they will be exploring the concept of subjectivity within a collectively moved body. This collective body can only function as a whole entity; at the same time, it should be seen as a space for transformation and as the observed result.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Submit a short personal motivational statement, your CV, photo (max. 500 KB), and links to previous works to email@example.com before September 15, 2017. Show us your curiosity and interest for the workshop’s theme and process!
- The selection will be conducted by Goethe-Institut Indonesien in Jakarta, Komunitas Salihara and Isabelle Schad.
- This workshop is only available for 20 professional dancers/choreographers, age 18 and above. The selected participants will be announced on September 15, 2017. Only selected participants will be contacted by the Goethe-Institut.
- The working language of the workshop will be English. Ability in writing and speaking in basic-intermediate English is necessary.
- For selected participants who are not based in Jakarta, Goethe-Institut Indonesia will cover the costs of travel and basic accommodation near Komunitas Salihara for the prescribed amount of time. Once you apply, you are committed to attend the entire workshop; otherwise the selection and travel support will be canceled.
- This workshop is an opportunity for Indonesian dancers/choreographers to cross boundaries; physical location boundaries as well as aesthetics and forms. It is a way to explore beyond what is currently imaginable. We are looking for bold people who are open to new ideas, sensitive to cultural differences, independent and committed to the time required to attend the workshop!