Contact and information
Language Course Office contact
Officer for Language Courses and Exams
Tel. +27 11 4423232
Fax +27 11 4423738
Language Course Office visiting hours:
Monday, 09:00 – 11:30
Tuesday, 09:00 – 15:00
Wednesday, 14:00 – 15:30
Thursday, 09:00 – 15:00
Friday, 10:30 – 14:30
Or by appointment
Our Language Course Office will gladly assist you should you wish to book a German language course in Johannesburg or in Germany or sign up for one of our examinations.
Contact us to make an appointment for advice and/or assesments.
Should you have studied German before and are not sure which level you are at, please call us to make an appointment for a placement test, which consists of a short informal interview and a multiple choice test.
Online Placement Test
- Proof Of payment
- Cash payment
- Credit Card
1.1 Minimum age:
- Standard, blended, super-intensive and online courses: 16 years
- Youth courses: 12 – 16 years
- Individual training: on request
1.3 The following course modules are offered by the Goethe-Institut (the Goethe-Institut reserves its right not to offer certain modules if there are insufficient numbers of Participants or other circumstances justifying it): A1.1, A1.2, A2.1, A2.2, B1.1, B1.2, B1.3, B2.1, B2.2, B2.3, C1.1, C1.2, C1.3, C2.1, C2.2, C2.3.
- Submission of enrolment form, proof of payment and a copy of passport or RSA ID is compulsory in order to complete registration. Incomplete applications will be not be processed.
- The aforementioned applications must be submitted as one PDF-Document to JOHLearngerman@goethe.de.
- Bookings take place on a first come, first served basis.
- The Goethe-Institut will process complete booking applications and advise the Participant of the outcome in writing.
- A confirmed booking is not transferrable to another person.
- Rebooking is only possible on request. An administration fee of 10% of the course and exam fee is payable.
1.5 Rewriting of Exams:
Super-Intensive Course Participants that wish to rewrite an exam, need to complete a new registration form and submit together with proof of payment and a copy of passport or RSA ID to JOH-Learngerman@goethe.de.
Rewrite of a module is available on request.
1.6 Participants with special needs:
Participants with special needs must inform the Goethe-Institut in writing of the type and extent of their special need at least 30 business days before the start of the exam.
The aforementioned request must be submitted to JOH-Learngerman@goethe.de.
Information for participants with special needs.
2. Terms of Payment / Fees
2.1 Electronic transfers and cash are the only acceptable means of payment.
2.2 Course fees:
- Standard, blended and youth courses: R4.500,00
- Intensive courses: R8.700,00
- A1/A2 Super-intensive courses (including exam): R9.500,00
- B1/B2/C1/C2 Super-intensive courses (including exam): R11.000,00
- Online courses (including exam): R9.500,00
- Exam Preparation Courses: R1.800,00
- Individual and company courses: on request / quote
- Replacement certificate on request – R350,00
2.3 The full course fee is payable prior to enrolment and before commencement of tuition.
2.4 The course fee is inclusive of costs for prescribed text books. Additional study material can be purchased at the language office.
3. Cancellation, non-attendance and refunds
3.1 Cancellations must be submitted in writing and delivered to the Goethe-Institut or sent by email to JOH-Learngerman@goethe.de. The date of cancellation shall be the date of receipt at the GoetheInstitut South Africa.
3.2 Cancellation prior to commencement of a course:
- A cancellation fee of 20% of the full course and exam fee is applicable should the Participant cancel at least 10 business days before the start of the course.
- A cancellation fee of 50% of the full course and exam fee is applicable should the Participant cancel 5-9 business days before the start of the course.
- A cancellation fee of 80% of the full course and exam fee is applicable should the Participant cancel at least 1-5 business days before the start of the course.
3.3 Cancellation after commencement of a course:
No refunds will be paid from the day that the course starts, whether or not a Participant cancels the course or not. Where the Participant has cancelled the course, the Participant acknowledges that the outstanding course fee amounts to a reasonable cancellation penalty.
Non-attendance of class will not result in a reduction of fees, nor will it absolve the Participant from liability for the payment of fees or entitle him to alternative tuition.
3.4 Fees paid for group tuition cannot be converted to fees for individual tuition nor can they be carried over to the next term.
4. Class size
4.1 The group size of a standard, blended, intensive, super-intensive and youth course is 8-18 course participants.
4.2 The Goethe-Institut reserves the right to change timetables, course commencement dates, postpone or cancel tuition in any course and exam initially advertised and offered, on the bases of insufficient demand or on any other reasonable ground.
4.3 Where the Goethe-Institut cancels the course and exam, the Participant will either receive a full refund of the course and exam fee or a voucher equal to the amount paid by the Participant for use of the same course and exam at a later date.
5. Course format and duration of courses
- Standard courses: once or twice per week, 9 weeks, 60 teaching units (1 unit = 45 min.).
- Blended learning courses: once per week, 9 weeks, 60 teaching units (30 – 36 Teaching units physical, 24 – 30 Teaching units online).
- Intensive courses: 3 times per week, 9 weeks, 120 teaching units.
- Super-intensive courses: 5 times per week, A1-A2 (4 weeks, 120 teaching units), B1-C2 (6 weeks, 180 teaching units).
- Youth courses: once or twice per week, 3-9 weeks, 60-120 teaching units.
- Online courses: 18 weeks, 130 teaching units.
- Exam Preparation Courses: 3 days, 20 teaching units.
- Individual and company tuition has to be taken within a reasonable period of time for noticeable progress and satisfactory learning results. This period of time and total teaching units will be agreed upon in a language consultation prior to the course. Tuition not taken within the prearranged time will fall away.
6. Assessment and progress
6.1 Continuous assessment is based on assignments (incl. Moodle) and tests. Participants who do not complete assignments and miss tests cannot be assessed.
6.2 Participants who have attended less than 70% of all classes, completed less than 70% of their assignments (incl. Moodle) and missed tests will only be issued with confirmation of participation and will not be issued with an accredited participation certificate.
6.3 Participants who fail to qualify for the abovementioned accredited participation certificate will have to schedule an assessment test free of charge before continuing with the next course level.
6.4 A participation certificate is issued only after the course has ended.
6.5 Participants will only be eligible to progress to the next level course after successful completion of a module.
6.6 A Participant will not be entitled to a reduction of tuition fees should the Participant fail to complete the course within the time provided or should the Participant fail to attain the results in order to successfully complete the course.
6.7 The Goethe-Institut reserves its right to cancel the Participant’s course in full due to disruptive or abusive behaviour or illegal activity. In such a scenario, there will be no refund of tuition fees paid.
7. Requirements on exam date
7.1 Original Passport or RSA ID: Participants without their passport or RSA ID will be excluded from the exam. A birth certificate will be accepted where young learners are not in possession of an RSA ID or a passport. A driver’s licence will not be accepted.
7.2 Participants are required to adhere to the exam schedule. Late comers will be excluded from the exam.
8. Exam results
8.1 The results of the C2 exam will only be available within 4 – 6 weeks.
8.2 All other exam results will be available within 5 – 10 working days. No exceptions will be made.
9. The terms and conditions of the exam administration can be viewed here:
- A1: https://www.goethe.de/pro/relaunch/prf/en/Durchfuehrungsbestimmungen_A1_Start_Deutsch_1.pdf
- A2: https://www.goethe.de/pro/relaunch/prf/en/Durchfuehrungsbestimmungen_A2.pdf
- B1: https://www.goethe.de/pro/relaunch/prf/en/Durchfuehrungsbestimmungen_B1.pdf
- B2: https://www.goethe.de/pro/relaunch/prf/en/Durchfuehrungsbestimmungen_B2.pdf
- C1: https://www.goethe.de/pro/relaunch/prf/en/Durchfuehrungsbestimmungen_C1.pdf
- C2: https://www.goethe.de/pro/relaunch/prf/en/Durchfuehrungsbestimmungen_C2_neu.pdf
- Can be viewed in the library.
10. The exam guidelines can be viewed here:
- Goethe-Test PRO: https://www.goethe.de/pro/relaunch/prf/en/Pruefungsordnung_GTP.pdf
- Can be viewed in the library.
11. Technical Requirements for Online Courses can be viewed here:
12.1 Exams in Johannesburg take place at the Goethe-Institut South Africa at 119 Jan Smuts Avenue, Parkwood 2193.
12.2 The Participant shall observe the security regulations of the Goethe-Institut and any other location where the courses are offered, as are in place from time to time.
12.3 Should any of the Participant’s details provided above change, the Participant shall for with and without delay notify the Goethe-Institut thereof in writing.
12.4 In the event of the Goethe-Institut instructing attorneys in regard to any breach of the Participant of the conditions of this agreement then the Participant shall pay all the costs on the scale between Attorney and own Client, including any costs incidental to such action instituted against the Participant.
12.5 In the event that any terms or condition herein is not fully enforceable or valid for any reason, such term or condition shall be severable from the remaining terms and conditions, which shall not be affected by such unenforceability.
12.6 The Goethe-Institut reserves its right to change the terms and conditions for the next term or course date and inform the Participant in writing.
13. Liability of the Goethe-Institut
13.1 The Participant agrees that the Institute and all its directors, employees, teachers, volunteers, service providers, agents and representatives (hereinafter referred to as “the Indemnified Parties”) are not responsible for any death, illness, injury, loss or damage of any kind sustained by the Participant which may arise from taking part in the course or exam and all related activities, caused in any manner whatsoever.
13.2 The Participant waives any and all claims or actions that the Participant may have against the Indemnified Parties as a result of the Participant’s enrolment and participation in the course.
13.3 The Participant indemnifies, releases and holds harmless the Indemnified Parties from any and all liability from any loss, damage, including consequential damage, injury or expenses that the Participant may suffer as a result of the Participant’s enrolment and participation in the course and all related activities due to any cause whatsoever.
13.4 The Goethe-Institut also accepts no liability for the cancellation of its services due to force majeure (e.g. natural disasters, fire, floods, war, official orders and all other circumstances beyond the control of the contractual parties).
14. Privacy Protection
14.1 The Goethe-Institut collects, processes and uses the personal data of the Participant both for the purpose of fulfilling the agreement signed with the Participant and as permitted by law and under the terms of any signed declaration of consent in compliance with privacy protection laws.
14.2 Personal date is used for purpose to issue certificates and is not shared with third parties.